Show us your watch Collection.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Aye, Rolex are out of my league but the Submariner is one of my dream watches. It's pretty much the definitive one. I'd also love a Breguet but that isn't going to happen either.

watches.png

My collection's coming along though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Watches like anything else are a matter of taste and personal preference.
Rolex just seem to have created their own hype through limited supply and marketing.
Wouldn't say no to Black Bay like Joey's though. In my mind just as good as a Rolex without the baggage. A Reverso would also be high on my list.

Venod

Eh up
It's like putting a really high end £10k bike beside a Halfords Carrera

I don't do group rides often nowadays, but I turned up for one the other day, about 14 riders all over 50 with some expensive winter rides, a lot of Ti on show, but there was one bloke on a Carrera, sporting an impressive ZZ top beard, he had a 54t chainring and a noticeably slow cadence, he lives local, but has a flat in London, which he regularly cycles back to Yorkshire from.
I assumed he had worked out a nice quiet route, but no, he comes up the A1 apart from the motorway bits.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
This is the advantage of being a lady who prefers vintage - I can wear really nice, discreetly-sized watches without any of them screaming "look at me!" :angel: Well, other than my slightly bonkers late 70s Citizen with its root beer dial and lime green lume, that is...

And I don't blow the budget on any of them, either. :biggrin:

Nothing wrong with very spendy / blingy watches, but they're not for me. Besides, I find a lot of them too big anyways, anything above a 27mm case just feels uncomfortable. Nicely mid-range is where I like to be at.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
You may have already seen this, but it’s worth an hour of your time if you haven’t.

View: https://youtu.be/DyzK8rR6DNs

Oh thank you! I enjoyed that. It was the same Breguet shop in Place de Vendome I saw those watches. All around the square were the great names - Rolex, Tag, Cartier, Bulgari etc etc and i pressed my nose up against every window but the Breguets were just a class above all of them.

This is my Modina skeleton watch. I have had it for quite a few years now . It was bought at an auction in a bundle of other watches. I have tried researching on the net about them and read that they were made in Italy in the 60's. I thought that by the style of it and that it has the radio active luminous markers that it was much earlier . I have recently discovered an identical watch but from a different maker that was bought as a wedding present in the 1930's.

IMG_20230129_091207.jpg

mustang1

Guru
Agree with you about the Cyclops @SpokeyDokey You can remove from any watch with heat.
I personally would never buy a Rolex, not because I can't afford it but because they don't represent the quality they once did. Plus they just seem to have been taken up by chavs who just view them as a status symbol.
There's a Rolex guy who has a channel on YouTube with lots of tattoos and neon teeth veneers which sealed it for me.
The homages are just so good now that it really makes it difficult to justify the purchase of the genuine article and then have a gang of Romanians or whoever try to take it off you.

Oh, that'll be Thorpe then!

I've gotta say I really like Rolex but I like it as much as I like many other brands. I thought Rolex quality is very much still "up there" though and I don't think it's "all marketing".

I wouldn't mind trying on homage to see what it looks like before placing an order for the real thing - for me it has to be the real thing or nothing.

mustang1

Guru
Watches like anything else are a matter of taste and personal preference.
Rolex just seem to have created their own hype through limited supply and marketing.
Wouldn't say no to Black Bay like Joey's though. In my mind just as good as a Rolex without the baggage. A Reverso would also be high on my list.

Idk if Rolex were limiting supply or was it the dealers? Anyway, Rolex have some new program of selling certified pre owned watches through authorised channels.

Gunk

Guru
Oh, that'll be Thorpe then!

I've gotta say I really like Rolex but I like it as much as I like many other brands. I thought Rolex quality is very much still "up there" though and I don't think it's "all marketing".

I wouldn't mind trying on homage to see what it looks like before placing an order for the real thing - for me it has to be the real thing or nothing.

I do agree with this sentiment. I bought my 16700 GTM (pictured in my previous post) new in 1997 when you could go in to a dealer and actually buy one for list price. Due the value now it sadly lives in our safe, I very rarely wear it these days.

Top Bottom