Show us your watch Collection.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking for some advice on buying and am wondering if you lovely watch-savvy gentlemen can help me.

Basically, I need a watch - automatic preferably, but failing that, a decent mechanical. Allow me to explain...

I have a lovely mechanical ladies Omega DeVille that I picked up for 50p on a jumble sale, but a) it's far too nice for a daily wearer, b) the face is a bit too small (my eyes aren't what they used to be), and c) leather straps and mucky jobs don't really go terribly well together. I also have a stainless steel Seiko that I bought for myself in 1994, which has been my daily wearer since then. But it's really started eating batteries of late, which is frustrating me no end.

When I bought the Seiko, I actually wanted the automatic version of the same watch, but my late father threw an almightly strop and refused to let me spend the extra £10. It was easier to keep the peace than to endure constant sniping after, so I bought what he wanted me to have, not what I wanted to have. The bit that pains me is that when I think how much I've spent on batteries over the last 28 years (and especially in the last couple of years), I could have easily bought another new watch... :wacko:

I've been looking on the 'bay, but quite frankly, this is waaay out of my area of expertise. All I want is something that's decent quality, keeps good time and has a metal bracelet. I'm not fussed about tatty, because it's going to get knocked about anyway, and replacing a glass doesn't (usually) cost the earth. I like the idea of buying something vintage / used as it's nice to give something a new lease of life. Also, I don't have a massive budget, so no more than about £20.

I've spotted a working but tatty automatic Gradus that's up for auction and am wondering whether it's worth taking a punt on.

Looking for some advice on buying and am wondering if you lovely watch-savvy gentlemen can help me.

Basically, I need a watch - automatic preferably, but failing that, a decent mechanical. Allow me to explain...

I have a lovely mechanical ladies Omega DeVille that I picked up for 50p on a jumble sale, but a) it's far too nice for a daily wearer, b) the face is a bit too small (my eyes aren't what they used to be), and c) leather straps and mucky jobs don't really go terribly well together. I also have a stainless steel Seiko that I bought for myself in 1994, which has been my daily wearer since then. But it's really started eating batteries of late, which is frustrating me no end.

When I bought the Seiko, I actually wanted the automatic version of the same watch, but my late father threw an almightly strop and refused to let me spend the extra £10. It was easier to keep the peace than to endure constant sniping after, so I bought what he wanted me to have, not what I wanted to have. The bit that pains me is that when I think how much I've spent on batteries over the last 28 years (and especially in the last couple of years), I could have easily bought another new watch... :wacko:

I've been looking on the 'bay, but quite frankly, this is waaay out of my area of expertise. All I want is something that's decent quality, keeps good time and has a metal bracelet. I'm not fussed about tatty, because it's going to get knocked about anyway, and replacing a glass doesn't (usually) cost the earth. I like the idea of buying something vintage / used as it's nice to give something a new lease of life. Also, I don't have a massive budget, so no more than about £20.

I've spotted a working but tatty automatic Gradus that's up for auction and am wondering whether it's worth taking a punt on.
I've got an old Gradus . I got it from a small antique shop for a couple of pounds I think . It looks like it was worn by a builder as it is very worn , suggesting that they had rough sandy hands . It has a Swiss movement . I think it is was a British company .
The winder is so worn that it is smooth and difficult to wind so I don't use it .

The Gradus I'm looking at seems very 1970s, with a blue and gold dial. It's quite appealing in a weird and funky sort of way. The dial says "Swiss". It's scuffed, but useable and in working order.

Two other options that I've found on the 'bay in my price bracket which would meet my needs are a Seiko Hi-Beat that really needs a new glass and bracelet (not a fan of expandable bracelets), and a Citizen Cosmo Star V2 in pretty decent nick.

Would appreciate a heads up. If I'm honest though, the Seiko is probably too tatty to bother with, but there don't seem to be too many ladies' options when it comes to automatic watches... :blush:

Old Sekonda watches used to be cheap and pretty reliable, quite nice looking with good gold plating . I know they are Russian but by now they have lived here long enough to not cause an international incident . I found one in a box of watches , it needed a new second hand and crystal as they were missing . I paid £1 for it . I fitted a second hand from a scrap watch and a new crystal , wound it up and it runs for several days without rewinding , keeps good time .
Montine make nice automatic watches. They are Swiss but could be on the increase in price as people become aware of them being nice and collectable .
I will go through my watch collection to see what obscure watches are about . If people have never heard of them they tend not to collect them even if they are good .
Ingersoll made cheap watches, I think they might have made an automatic . I still have my watch from junior school which is over 60 years old and still works.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Learning how to maintain vintage watches is one of the things I'm going to learn when I retire. Along with antique book restoration.

Currently I'm far too busy, but as I've a collection of vintage watches plus a large collection of very antique books it seems to make sense.

Although it might be a bit budget-busting, a Seiko 7S26-0030 might suit. Mid-sized 38mm diver, 200m WR, bomb-proof movement.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393959288713?hash=item5bb9cdaf89:g:6n0AAOSwQJZiGPWg
Probably cheaper around.

Will outlive you, literally.

Budget busting!!! Not 'alf!!! :ohmy:

More seriously, that (and anything else like it is much too big - no, not the strap, the watch itself... That's close to being wider than my wrist. :blush:

There's a decent independent in Ely where I normally go for watch and jewellery repairs, so well served there. :okay:

Old Sekonda watches used to be cheap and pretty reliable, quite nice looking with good gold plating . I know they are Russian but by now they have lived here long enough to not cause an international incident . I found one in a box of watches , it needed a new second hand and crystal as they were missing . I paid £1 for it . I fitted a second hand from a scrap watch and a new crystal , wound it up and it runs for several days without rewinding , keeps good time .
Montine make nice automatic watches. They are Swiss but could be on the increase in price as people become aware of them being nice and collectable .
I will go through my watch collection to see what obscure watches are about . If people have never heard of them they tend not to collect them even if they are good .
Ingersoll made cheap watches, I think they might have made an automatic . I still have my watch from junior school which is over 60 years old and still works.

Ordinarily, Soviet-era stuff is really cool in a very strange way (tell me about it, I have Soviet / East German camera gear...) but I was in two minds about them. Ordinarily I'd say that stuff from that era is unsophisticated and built like a tank, but... :whistle:

I did notice that the more recognizable brands do seem to command more in terms of price tag. I did spot a wind-up Saxon for 99p though - I have a lovely Saxon wall clock in a teak case. :blush:

If I have to be honest, obscure and decent is probably where I'm at. I'm not looking for an investment, just a good, serviceable watch that doesn't need batteries and that I don't mind getting bashed about a bit.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Reynard - what's your budget? I've a ladies Rado which from memory I think is automatic. It's been sat for quite a long time in the display box I have though but I can check if it still works. It's in the photo below - steel mid-bottom, probably 1970's:

rado_watches-jpg.jpg

Kind of you to look @DCLane :hugs:

Budget is about £20 for an everyday beater, so bargain basement end, I'm afraid. :blush: I have an Omega DeVille for "posh" wear.

I have a 1969 Seiko 6602-7040 in gold. Works well, hand-wind, not massively tough, and could do with a new crystal. Top centre here. Has the type of strap you don't like, but straps are easy, standard 18mm lugs.

The other thing would be to get your current Seiko serviced, as battery eating is a sure sign it needs it. A Seiko quartz should last around 2 years.

I have a 1969 Seiko 6602-7040 in gold. Works well, hand-wind, not massively tough, and could do with a new crystal. Top centre here. Has the type of strap you don't like, but straps are easy, standard 18mm lugs.

The other thing would be to get your current Seiko serviced, as battery eating is a sure sign it needs it. A Seiko quartz should last around 2 years.

Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely bear it in mind as I can always chase down a suitable bracelet. :okay: Not in any particular rush however, but feeling the lack of an "everyday" watch now that I am spending more time outside again.

Yep, I used to get a good two to two and a half years on a battery, now I'm lucky if it's more than about 6 months. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a cheap battery or a spendy one. But I'm thinking it's time (!) to move away from battery watches. Although I can always come back to it if I don't get on with a mechanical / automatic one - that's another reason behind my stingy budget... :blush:

Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely bear it in mind as I can always chase down a suitable bracelet. :okay: Not in any particular rush however, but feeling the lack of an "everyday" watch now that I am spending more time outside again.

Yep, I used to get a good two to two and a half years on a battery, now I'm lucky if it's more than about 6 months. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a cheap battery or a spendy one. But I'm thinking it's time (!) to move away from battery watches. Although I can always come back to it if I don't get on with a mechanical / automatic one - that's another reason behind my stingy budget... :blush:
The gold wind up watch is the same size as the diver previously mentioned, that diver is not the size of the bottom left lump in my picture, which I have to take off when weighing myself, lest it distort the figures...

The gold wind up watch is the same size as the diver previously mentioned, that diver is not the size of the bottom left lump in my picture, which I have to take off when weighing myself, lest it distort the figures...

If it's the same size as the diver you mentioned upthread, then same problem... I really do have tiny wrists. :blush:

25mm is where I want to be at, really.

Edited to add that my wrists are 17 cm in circumference

Last edited:
Top Bottom