Shower room etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
peanut - it's cultural...Brits are uptight and embarrassed about nudity (and showering it seems). Some of us here just don't fit that stereotype ;)

peanut

4F said:
Yes the point is that it has 2 shower heads and therefore designed for 2 people.

Do you always just accept things without question ?

i would question the decision to having 2x shower heads in a small cubicle. Its not a shower room is it !
Many people prefer to shower privately in a cubicle.Their wish for privacy should be respected.

The showering provision in a public building has to conform to some very restrictive controls guidlines and bylaws these days, including Legionella risk assessments etc etc.
It may be the showering arrangements at Jimbo's works do not conform to current guidelines and need reviewing

theclaud

Openly Marxist
peanut said:
I take it from your name that you are a female ? so i hardly think your advice would be very pertinant unless that is you are speaking from a gay perspective perchance ?

Eh? Why are women unqualified to have an opinion on shower etiquette? Personally, I wouldn't want a random colleague in the shower cubicle with me in the morning, but that's more to do with being grumpy in the morning than anything else. Can't see anything wrong with it otherwise.

bonj2

theclaud said:
Eh? Why are women unqualified to have an opinion on shower etiquette? Personally, I wouldn't want a random colleague in the shower cubicle with me in the morning, but that's more to do with being grumpy in the morning than anything else. Can't see anything wrong with it otherwise.

becuase it's a BLOKES shower room! ;)

peanut

Will1985 said:
peanut - it's cultural...Brits are uptight and embarrassed about nudity (and showering it seems). Some of us here just don't fit that stereotype ;)

I totally accept that Will but that doesn't mean that because you and some others prefer to shower with others that everybody must therefore also share a shower.

I could counter by saying that you fit the modern sterotype of people that enjoy public nudity and choose to shower with others .

Its not about stereotypes its about personal choice and the freedom to exercise that choice and not be forced to suffer your choice or anybody elses

I respect your choice to shower with others you should respect others preferences in the same vein

Lizban

peanut said:
well everyone is entitled to their opinion even if they are wrong as in your case ;) unless you can speak for everybody else without asking them;)
I take it from your name that you are a female ? so i hardly think your advice would be very pertinant unless that is you are speaking from a gay perspective perchance ?

Wrong on a few fronts Peanut, male married 6ft4 rugby player, don't claim to speak for everyone (unlike some posters 'you are all missing the point')

One of my fav bits of CC is that very few people seem to be able to grasp the concept of other peoples’ views having validity - my way or the high way seems to be the vogue.

Keep up the good work always enjoy your posts.

Never had a problem with sharing the showers, just been something I have got used too over my many years. Starting off in school the showers were communal, then onto the army and fire service. Even when im in bunkhouse accommadation in the lakes I dont have a problem with it.

But as some say each to there own. I think its high time we had mixed showers anyway;););)

bonj2

peanut said:
I totally accept that Will but that doesn't mean that because you and some others prefer to shower with others that everybody must therefore also share a shower.

I could counter by saying that you fit the modern sterotype of people that enjoy public nudity and choose to shower with others .

Its not about stereotypes its about personal choice and the freedom to exercise that choice and not be forced to suffer your choice or anybody elses

I respect your choice to shower with others you should respect others preferences in the same vein

I personally don't see why it's incumbent upon anybody to assume that even though there's two showers, the other person doesn't want to share the cubicle. I'M quite happy to share, if YOU'RE not, then it's YOU that should wait.
I don't see why *I* should wait because YOU are prudish - and moreoever, how I should KNOW that you're prudish?
If this is an issue of personal space, and 6 foot isn't big enough, then what is the unwritten minimum space that one should adhere to?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
bonj said:
becuase it's a BLOKES shower room! ;)

:smile: I presume no one was suggesting that the person barging in on the men's shower in question was a woman, so the etiquette is presumably similar in any single-sex showers. Apart from the silly homophobic gags about not bending for the soap, which deserve to be ignored anyway :biggrin:.

peanut

Lizban said:

One of my fav bits of CC is that very few people seem to be able to grasp the concept of other peoples’ views having validity - my way or the high way seems to be the vogue.

suggest you read what is written and not what you think is being said.
My stated view is that everyone should have the right to their view and to their preference.
Just because you have to shower with others doesn't mean everbodys should have to if they choose not to.
This is my stated view

peanut

bonj said:
I personally don't see why it's incumbent upon anybody to assume that even though there's two showers, the other person doesn't want to share the cubicle. I'M quite happy to share, if YOU'RE not, then it's YOU that should wait.
I don't see why *I* should wait because YOU are prudish - and moreoever, how I should KNOW that you're prudish?
If this is an issue of personal space, and 6 foot isn't big enough, then what is the unwritten minimum space that one should adhere to?

what are you going on about Bonj ? your post isn't even written in English.;)
I'm not prudish never have been you can't be if you've been a national athlete or been to public school but some people are fact ,thats their choice .

if you wish to know the guidelines for showers you should look up the relevant guidelines .

The point that you are missing is that Jimbo was already in the shower . it was the other person joining him without question or warning that I understand Jimbo was questioning. ie their lack of sensitivity . Something you should know all about :biggrin:;)

Lizban

peanut said:
suggest you read what is written and not what you think is being said.
My stated view is that everyone should have the right to their view and to their preference.
Just because you have to shower with others doesn't mean everbodys should have to if they choose not to.
This is my stated view

Quite simply I'm not going to enter a slanging match on an internet forum. As I said keep up the good work always enjoy your posts

peanut

BentMikey said:
If you don't want to shower with another person in that two person shower, then don't shower. Simples.

thats it really isn't it.;)

If Jimbo has used the shower before he must be aware of the fact that it has 2x shower heads and is intended for communal use. If you decide to use that shower then you have to accept that there is a likelihood of someone joining you in the shower.

if you are not happy about that then you need to bring the subject up with your dept head or HR etc.

Top Bottom