Sick of being sat in traffic!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lisa1979

Hi All,
I'm new to this board...
having being sat in traffic for tooooo many hours, I thought I’d change my life and do my bit by cycling to work. Joined here to check out any pit falls / dangers etc associated with it.
also just testing if i have posted correctly!
Lisa

domtyler

Über Member
Are you sitting in traffic at the moment? :evil:

walker

Where would you be commuting to? London?

Only dangers, and seems to happen to women more than men, don't ride up the side of a bus if you know there is a bus stop coming.

there was some sort of test done and women were more succeptable to doing this.

and welcome aboard Lisa

OP
OP
Lisa1979

Lisa1979

he he! i best give up now before i start then!

Well i live near to manchester city centre, its such a pain between 7.30 & 9am

ChrisKH

Guru
Two pieces of advice

1. Wear a helmet :evil:

2. Don't let Patrick Stevens use his charms on you. :sad:

Seriously, welcome. Just get on your bike and do it. You can moan on here about the muppets (pedestrians, cars, other cyclists) afterwards. If you're really serious, I'm sure someone on here will lend you their copy of Cyclecraft which would be useful. Joining the CTC might not be a bad idea either for their insurance and legal cover.

tomb1960

Welcome! I think you may have come to the right place, it's very friendly, and by-and-large the advice is sound! I commute by bike precisely because I am not psychologically suited to sitting in traffic. Main danger is that it (cycling) seems to be quite addictive, it starts innocently enough, but before you know it you're Googling chamois cream! I would just ask anything you want to know, the supposedly 'silly' questions are usually the most interesting and spark off the most lively debate. Good luck.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Welcome Lisa and have fun. You'll find lots of useful info, tips and advice on here.

Nice to see some more oestrogen around too :evil:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Welcome Lisa. As a Mancunian myself I know what you mean about the traffic... it's always the worst when they have a game with those 11 men chasing a pigskin around a pitch and kicking it for 90 mins!! :evil:

OP
OP
Lisa1979

Lisa1979

tell me about it sharky, last night Manchester was full of Spanish louts all over the main road near my office!

walker

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Welcome Lisa. As a Mancunian myself I know what you mean about the traffic... it's always the worst when they have a game with those 11 men chasing a pigskin around a pitch and kicking it for 90 mins!! :evil:

22 to be precise

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What route are you thinking of doing - there are a fair few of us local to the area, so could advise you which roads to avoid.

Never ever cycle up the inside of a large vehicle.... far too many cyclists get squashed.

Get yourself some good clothing - as a start there is a big sale in Aldi tomorrow and you can pick up some cheap kit. Be there early as it flies out the door - usually sodding ebay sellers...

If you are going to do it every day, then get some waterproofs - makes life much more pleasant.

I've also spent too many years sat in the South Manchester traffic - left my job last year to one nearer home and have cycled every day since !

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I started by doing a 16 miles round trip (Heald Green to the City Centre), having not done any cycling beyond the odd jaunt to the shops - this time of year is pretty good for starting a commute, all those bank holidays mean you can get a rest from 5 day weeks every so often :evil:

Have you a route in mind?

Have you got the stuff you need for your bike (repair kit, pump, maybe a multitool)?

Top Bottom