Sick of being sat in traffic!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Lisa, Welcome.

I also strongly recommend reading Cycle-craft for anyone commuting in a busy urban environment. It's money well spent.
I assume you already have a suitable steed.
Also echo extreme cautions at left turns and never going-up the inside of large vehicles....sometimes you have to act like a car and wait in-line at lights etc.
Good kit helps with comfort and foul weather. Hi-Viz too. Helmets are a personal choice, if you wear one make sure it is a good fit and in good condition.
Make sure you have a good lock(s) and secure bike-parking.
If a regularly commuting again I echo joining the CTC for insurance an legal assistance.
If the commute is a reasonable distance, carry spare tubes, multi-tool, P*ncture repair kit, good pump and decent tyre levers...furthermore, know how to use them (easier to practice at home in the dry than Manchester City centre on a rainy night).
Powerful flashing lights are also valuable during the day.

Keep asking questions or advice.

Finally, great you're gonna get out there. It's good for body and soul. The more people cycle, the better for all cyclists.

Enjoy and good luck!

OP
OP
Lisa1979

Lisa1979

Many thanks for all the replies, the advice is most welcome. Its opened my eyes to some of the dangers I haven’t thought about. I have already got some waterproofs and tools etc, went the other day to kit out. I think I will try my 1st few commutes only when the weather is good, just to get used to it. My younger brother is coming tonight to show me how to change a tyre! – how bad is that!? Also delivered today was my high visual tabard – found it on the net www.onelesscar.eu spreads a good message to the car drivers, and can’t wait to wear it tomorrow!
The roads I will be doing in the city centre are Deansgate, Chester road, then I think I can cut through Trafford park to get to Monton then on to home.
Lisa

OP
OP
Lisa1979

Lisa1979

hiya, a friend of a friend ownes a shop in macclesfield centre, Spectacular Fireworks, been there a few times!

giant man

Lisa1979 said:
Hi All,
I'm new to this board...
having being sat in traffic for tooooo many hours, I thought I’d change my life and do my bit by cycling to work. Joined here to check out any pit falls / dangers etc associated with it.
also just testing if i have posted correctly!
Lisa
Get on that bike girl! Saving time getting to and from work and you'll get fit (and trim if you want to!), just don't forget some lights on your bike - be seen be safe). ;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You will probably be able to get some free or subsidised cheap cycle training from your local council. Highly recommended, because they should teach you how to cycle in traffic and how to be a part of the traffic. Cyclecraft is an excellent book, I'd also recommend it.

http://www.londonskaters.com/cycling/safety-dooring-door-zone.htm
http://www.londonskaters.com/cycling/safety-heavy-goods-vehicles.htm

Lisa1979 said:
In the words of Roy Walker - "its good but its not quite tight" yet..... :biggrin:

Nooo! Don't! Stop teasing! ;)

Glad that you've joined the ranks of the two-wheelers. Once you've got used to commuting (probably take about 3-4 weeks for your muscles and joints to get used to it) then get ready for your free time to be spent cycling (and foruming)- unless, unlike me, you have a life!. :biggrin:

Lisa1979 said:
Hi All,
I'm new to this board...
having being sat in traffic for tooooo many hours, I thought I’d change my life and do my bit by cycling to work. Joined here to check out any pit falls / dangers etc associated with it.
also just testing if i have posted correctly!
Lisa

Hello Lisa. Dayvo has done all the innuendos so I'll just mention that when I read your post, I scanned and read 'fat pills' - not pit falls... and I thought for a second 'what the bloody hell do we need to know about fat pills for?'

Stupid boy. ;):biggrin:

Enjoy your rides.

Top Bottom