Sigh.....Another one Down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
how many people actually call 999 for the cops straight after having been knocked off their bikes? I don't think I would. I'd get the drivers details etc and get an ambulance if need be.

Helmets don't protect you you know. I have statistics.:evil:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Maz said:
how many people actually call 999 for the cops straight after having been knocked off their bikes?
You don't do that, but if you're injured the driver MUST report the collision to the police, and it is an offence not to do so within 24 hours. It's good practice on your part to get the details of the report from the driver and check that it's been done. In some cases you may want to attend and report it yourself, in which case the police should combine the reports.

Maz

Guru
John the Monkey said:
You don't do that, but if you're injured the driver MUST report the collision to the police, and it is an offence not to do so within 24 hours. It's good practice on your part to get the details of the report from the driver and check that it's been done. In some cases you may want to attend and report it yourself, in which case the police should combine the reports.
Cheers JtM. Hope I don't need to use that info but good to know.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
999 only if you have bits hanging off.......:biggrin::biggrin:

I've just popped down the cop shop - had to dart from work early as they said - 24 hours only....missed a few vital emails...so I've been apologising at work via web log in.

Police recorded the details, but as I've not needed medical attention, there wasn't a need, but the chap offered to take it all down, just in case the third party changes their mind.

I was well enough to ride - shoulder is a bit goosed, and my head feels a little sore on the side I impacted the road..... no brain injury - I'd have to find it first.....:biggrin::biggrin:

Yep helmets don't protect your head, but I'm sure getting gravel rash on my skull would not have been a nice addition last night - that was the first time ever my head has contacted the road in a crash...so glad I had it.... getting hit side on by a car doing 25-30 certainly slammed me to the floor quick enough.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
There is a lot of negativity towards the police from some cyclists and I would just like to say, what ever your result with them it is worth logging these complaints. At the very least it alerts certain drivers to the police, so if they're pulled for any reason they're less likely to be let off with a warning as it proves their irresponsible nature.

I had great experiences with the Police here in southampton. They kept me up to date, I got the result I thought was appropriate.

Reporting also adds to vital figures about trouble spots, accident figures, etc.

Tynan: you should NEVER ask for a cheque or cash at the scene. It may make a court think you are into riding into cars for profit like those conmen who step in front of cars, etc. :biggrin: You may also be at a loss if you end up having to go to A&E later and hear you've got a hairline fracture that has become worse or bleeding on the brain

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Plus, accepting a payment can be seen as full and final settlement, so if you do take a payment, there's some sort of legalese that excludes damage/injury not yet picked up. Get a lawyer innit.

Tharg2007

Veteran
also if you are demanding money at the scene when someone is more than happy to provide all details and log with police it could be seen as intimidation and extortion

Fossy mate, sorry to hear about this! :becool:

Get yourself down to the police, as the others have said, otherwise take it easy and I hope you heal quickly!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Done fella - as it's not a 'hospital case' then it's not necessary (obviously us Mancs are as 'ard as tarmac.....) :sad: - recorded with the main Desk...., just in case.... it goes belly up..or my head falls to bits..... :becool:

As always it's just the impact of your loved ones....... fortunately, my wife was out last night, so I was looking presentable by the time she and the kids came in.....

Me......."I was knocked off my bike tonight...I AM OK......."........:blush::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Well.....:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Me nope, no loss of consciousness - (keep details low......)...details a little limited....... Me..."well at least I still bounce at nearly 40"...not tested that for quite a while.......

I was more worried about telling the missus...the kids wanted to see the wounds.... oh what crash hat next..la..la..la....

TBH the last time I stopped regular commuting was a major wipe out - me busted hand and the bike was a goner.....v.v.v lucky.... then after a couple of years, I changed jobs, too far to ride.:sad:

I checked with her when I decided to stuff sitting in a car getting fat 18 months ago and changing jobs...... - weigh the risks up - are you OK me commuting again....? "erm OK".....

Well not done too bad...it was 18 months longer than I had anticipated a major fall....

I just really think, had it been an unfit, low experienced cyclist.....they would have been dead....... - not boasting here but most of us instinctively know what to do to minimise damage....I'd turned out to side swipe the car (in miliseconds), and just let it go with the flow - no tensed muscles...... god knows what would have happened to a POB.........:sad:

Sorry for rambling, but it might help some less crash experienced folk........:biggrin:

briank

Sounds like you just about squeeked out of that one ok. Good on ya!
Forget all that sjit about cops and lawyers - it's all compensation culture. From what you say, you've got a humman being there who's willing to hold her hand up and admit she's done wrong.
Just talk to her and sort it out - and don't let the lawyers or the polis anywhere near it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
briank said:
...it's all compensation culture.
Respectfully, I disagree, for the reasons outlined earlier.

The Police *should* do something about people who can "not see" people who are clearly visible to those who are even half awake, "not seeing" them to the extent that they can send a half tonne of metal travelling at 30mph into them. The police won't, so how else do you change the driver's behaviour? Hit the buggers in the wallet, and put them through the inconvenience of sorting out the claim.

Otherwise they'll have forgotten it in a few months, and it'll be someone else that they "don't see".

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Update.....

Been OK on the bike over the Festivities, but went swimming with the kids on Sunday - not good - something not right with my left shoulder.... clunk...clunk doing breast stroke...

BC now contacted, BC solicitors involved, seen the doc this morning - suspects AC Injury - off to X-Ray this afternoon.

The shoulder has been sore, but nothing too much, can't sleep on it etc, but swimming (and the action of breast stroke) has kicked of a load of aches and tenderness. Moving the shoulder causes audible clicks and clunks - colleagues can hear it if I extend my arm out to the front. ;)

So it's down the insurance route - we'll see what X-ray turns up. :biggrin:

Only the snow (my wife won't let me ride) is keeping me off the bike ! :biggrin:

Sorry to hear that mate. Hopefully something can be done for your shoulder, as I am sure you want to get back to breast stroking....;)

Top Bottom