Sigh.....Another one Down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The round-a-bout is not too clever - busy, small etc. I've always thought something would happen here going that direction - just a case of when. It's taken 18 months though - I was doing everything right, fairly careful round it, as it was wet and slippy, dead centre, signalling, aware of vehicles behind, watching and eye-balling the approaching traffic, but wham - driver just didn't look.

I may avoid it on the way home - there is a slight de-tour I can do to skip it.

Won't change how I ride any round-a-bout, it's just this one is a recipe for an accident - two fast lanes (I say fast - should be 30.....) from one direction which generally free flow onto the round-a-bout and everyone is in a hurry to pop over it...... the centre is only 30 feet across, so pretty sharp, visibility is good... The other 4 feeders don't freeflow so easily ?

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The car is on AskMID and checks out OK.

Heaton Lane r/b? Its easy to pick up speed as you come past Decathlon and down the hill though.
I never like r/b's where traffic can form 2 entry lanes, means poor visibility.
Glad you're OK Fossy. You'll be sore once the adrenaline goes!

gavintc

Guru
She will deny everything in the morning and claim you ran into her. Get down the cop shop and report it. You will be amazed at how such a black and white incident can turn to place you in the aggressor / blame position. Protect yourself and call BC and cops in the morning.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tharg2007 said:
When I was hit bike got the damage and I was ok, still claiming for whats damaged. You were damaged so she needs to pay. If she doesnt have no claims protection then thats a lesson learned right there.
I tend to the same view.

I've been hit twice this year, and both the people that hit me were, at heart, nice people. But in the first case, the guy should not have been following so close, and should have read the road enough to know that if he has to move out around a parked vehicle, I will need to too. In the second case, the driver should have waited until the road was clear - not made a poor estimate of my speed and driven into the back of me. In both cases, the police won't do anything about it, because inattention that doesn't result in death isn't something they're interested in.

So what you're left with is the question of how you modify people's behaviour behind the wheel in the absence of other consequences. For me, that means you contact the CTC's accident line and do the thing through them. At the very least, the inconvenience of it all may make the driver look harder at what's ahead of them in the future.

Fossy
while I admire your attitude and your unwillingness to claim for anything and everything, I also agree with everyone encouraging you to notify the police.

You had someone cause an accident and injure you. Your injuries may prove to be more serious or longer lasting / more uncomfortable than you currently appreciate.

She should have notified the police (because of the injuries) and should have given you insurer's details.

Also bear in mind that this took place at the end of an afternoon in the middle of christmas party season and there is a real chance that drink may have been involved (just as there is a real chance of drink being a factor in early morning incidents just now).

I hope that all the damage is minor, and that you are right as rain in no time at all,

Stig

Tharg2007

Veteran
its always best to get the police involved right there and then, in most cases you get the driver admit liability to them, theres no getting out of it after that.

Glad you're OK Fossy and like the attitude. Nevertherless, belt and braces approach to cover your backside and all eventualities, even if you do only claim for what's bust.

Crackle said:
Glad you're OK Fossy and like the attitude. Nevertherless, belt and braces approach to cover your backside and all eventualities, even if you do only claim for what's bust.

+1
Hope today brings you friendly aches and not painful ones fossy - a ferocious bike polishing session is called for! ;)

This could have been much worse. If the driver's done it once they could have done it before, or might do it again.

I've been knocked off before and agree with the others - report it asap.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Have to agree with what's been said, Foss - whilst I'm not a big fan of claiming for everything (we're not the USA) she should be held accountable for her actions and lack of attention to the road. A drawn out process involving her insurance company may just be the start of her paying more attention to the road.

I was all for just claiming for damage to bike/clothes when I was knocked off in January - the Boss of the driver contacted me and all was going well... until I told him the amount (upon which I'd added a couple of hundred for pain/suffering involved), he then started delaying things and generally not being contactable etc.

I finally went down the Solicitor route and got a good deal more (which is not the point, but helped nicely at this time of Christmas! :biggrin:) as well as him having to (hopefully) answer some difficult questions from his insurance company about why (I think) he didn't report it to them until after his renewal (from what he was asying to me when I did manage to contact him initially!).

I hope he got stung big time for being an ar*e. :evil:

Hope you're okay and on the mend quickly, btw. :smile:

Tynan

Veteran
theory and practice, the coppers simply won't care and the risk of them changing their mind or having it changed for them by their ignorant friends is very real

it's very difficult I think when the accident is serious but doesn't mean someone calls an ambulance for you, in the past I've insisted on a cheque/cash at the scene or I call the police, I think it's worth so much to them to be able to apologise and leave that when pushed they can always raise the money pronto

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
And there was me, not an hour before, saying to a colleague, "you have to take it easy near Christmas with the tipsy and/or rushing drivers....." :evil:
Get well soon, fossy.
Dusted off my POLITE hiviz today for the exact reason above.

Top Bottom