Sigh.....Another one Down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
briank said:
Sounds like you just about squeeked out of that one ok. Good on ya!
Forget all that sjit about cops and lawyers - it's all compensation culture. From what you say, you've got a humman being there who's willing to hold her hand up and admit she's done wrong.
Just talk to her and sort it out - and don't let the lawyers or the polis anywhere near it.

Despite my recent post, I'm a reluctant compensation claimant, but as it sounds as if Fossyant did not 'squeeked out of that one ok' I must agree with John the Monkey's viewpoint. After all, there are plenty of apparently decent human beings driving around with poor eyesight. Should they be let off every time they hit someone with their potentially lethal vehicle?

All the best for the recovery, Mr Ant.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
briank said:
Sounds like you just about squeeked out of that one ok. Good on ya!
Forget all that sjit about cops and lawyers - it's all compensation culture. From what you say, you've got a humman being there who's willing to hold her hand up and admit she's done wrong.
Just talk to her and sort it out - and don't let the lawyers or the polis anywhere near it.
Nope - do the opposite. She's not your friend and she's damaged the most important thing you and your family have - you! I doubt the police will do anything, but she is liable and the insurers should be involved. You could be looking at time off work, physio etc and this costs money. Why should you pay for it?

The guy who hit me about a year ago was a really nice fella who knew and admitted he'd cocked up, and in a weird way was more upset than me about it immediately after the incident. I didn't want him hung, drawn and quartered (the police never even gave me the option - he wasn't even cautioned) but I still regarded him as responsible financially.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
So it's down the insurance route - we'll see what X-ray turns up. ;)

Try to get an MRI scan rather than an x-ray. I had one for my shoulder (not a cycle injury) and the detail was so much better than an x-ray would have been. It showed up exactly what the problem was. But I have medical insurance through my work so cost is no object.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Interesting how many people have mentioned that in the immediate aftermath of an off, the driver is more shaken than the injured cyclist.

Is this because the driver is in another world, sitting warm and dry in a box, when suddenly, bang, they're catapulted out of their cosy nest into an accident situation, whereas the cyclist is very aware all the time of what might happen and is almost ready for it?

Just musing.

Hope your shoulder gets sorted Fossy. You seem to have more than your fair share of bangs.

Tharg2007

Veteran
i hope you took some pics of all the bruising you mentioned. If you had bruising you should have gone to hospital / solicitors from the start. Hope it all goes well, you might be in for some cash there ;)

mr_cellophane said:
Try to get an MRI scan rather than an x-ray. I had one for my shoulder (not a cycle injury) and the detail was so much better than an x-ray would have been. It showed up exactly what the problem was. But I have medical insurance through my work so cost is no object.

It depends what the problem is. MRI is good at imaging soft tissues (although it can be pretty poor a cartilage), and x-ray is better at bone etc.

I work in MRI so if I have an injury I'll get it scanned in the scanner, but this doesn't always provide an answer. Before spending any money on an MRI, see what the x-ray says. If I didn't work here, I would be happy to have an x-ray first.

I had an accident 3 years ago where a mini cab pulled out on me. I hit the side of it next to the drivers door mirror which twisted my arm around as I went over the bonnet.

I thought I was fine and settled for a few hundred to sort the bike out.

Six months later when I started back at the gym, I realised I couldn't shoulder press more than a few KG with my left arm.

Several months of physio and I regained some strength and mobility.

It still clicks like a good un when I do a windmill motion. The shoulder naturally sits higher than the right and the AC joint is prominent by about an inch (god knows how I didn't spot this at the time!). It also hurts after a few hours on the bike.

I was the biggest critic of namby pamby compensation culture, but I wish I'd seen a solicitor at the time and got proper advice.

Make sure you get it properly sorted mate.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Uncle Phil said:
whereas the cyclist is very aware all the time of what might happen and is almost ready for it?

Just musing.

Quite right.....

I know my pulse rate shoots to 110 as soon as I put my leg over the bike...and certainly fully alert within 50 yards.

There is no way you can not be alert on a bike - 150 plus bpm ;) We all have to read the traffic - it's just self preservation.

Those 'more experienced' generally get away with fewer injuries as we 'anticipate' and take action........those less experienced will get hurt - I certainly know my neighbour who cycles to work every day has had a few nasty hits - partly because he hasn't the experience to avoid/mitigate the stoopid actions of others....

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
fossyant said:
Quite right.....

I know my pulse rate shoots to 110 as soon as I put my leg over the bike...and certainly fully alert within 50 yards.
I'm pretty sure my pulse rate rockets when I get my leg over too... oh, on the bike.. no idea. ;):smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Uncle Phil said:
Interesting how many people have mentioned that in the immediate aftermath of an off, the driver is more shaken than the injured cyclist.

Is this because the driver is in another world, sitting warm and dry in a box, when suddenly, bang, they're catapulted out of their cosy nest into an accident situation, whereas the cyclist is very aware all the time of what might happen and is almost ready for it?

Just musing.

I think you go into a kind of survival .. adrenalin pumping mode... its afterwards when you start thinking about it that you feel shaken.

biking_fox

Guru
That doesn't sound good, but I hope it works out ok in the end. If it didn't hurt too badly at the time it's probably not broken anything, but Muscle stuff can take a while to develop (and unfortunetly a while to fix again).

Missed this orginally- was it the roundabout by the Crown? If it was you're lucky to have got away as lightly as you have, it's a nightmare.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
biking_fox said:
Missed this orginally- was it the roundabout by the Crown? If it was you're lucky to have got away as lightly as you have, it's a nightmare.

Just checked - it is - right near the Viaduct... Cross it twice a day - safer in the morning. Might just carry on the A560 and cut over the A6 by Debenhams going home from now, just peds and busses there though !!!

Nothing broken, but a full report will be sent to my GP - x-rayed both shoulders from 2 directions - front and top (extended - that hurt) to get a comparison of both shoulders. Good service from my Hospital. They got someone to check straight away, 'cos if something was broken it would be A&E.

Next job, wait for results and sort out a Physio (we have a deal through the Uni with the Armitage Centre - so looking into that as they have sports physios...and it's massively discounted)

Gotte

I know that roundabout well. It is a bad one. Where are you coming from, and where are you going? Is that the only route you can take?

Top Bottom