Sigma Sports - Very poor after sales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very disappointed in Sigma sports - whom have a good reputation and I thought I would be safe with. I paid £130 for a pair of Castelli bib tights in October , I had worn them at most half a dozen times, before I picked up a groin injury keeping me off the bike. At the weekend I decided to go out for a very short ride just to see how things were feeling.

I always turn my clothes inside out before putting them for wash - Imagine my surprise when I noticed in the thigh/hip area significant fraying of the fibres. I emailed Sigma sports with photos, and sat waiting for the email saying a replacement was on the way - my only concern was would they have stock.

I was very disappointed when the reply came back. That they weren't going to warranty these as the fraying had been caused by 'external abrasions' - A couple of emails more - but they refused to budge.

I then posted a review of the bib tights and my experience on the sigma sports website - which they have declined to publish (no wonder everything is rated so highly on there)

Had a similar issue with a rucksack from wiggle last year - sent the photos, and a new rucksack was sent out next day delivery. People complain about the dominance of wiggle - but my experiences above perhaps explain why they get so much custom.

Couldn't quite believe the price of stuff on sigma - (the bib tights are now £150) - perhaps they are struggling a bit.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Might be worth contacting Castelli directly to see what they say.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Might be worth contacting Castelli directly to see what they say.

Yes, I'd go direct to Castelli.

I have to say I've noticed that Sigma haven't been as good as they used to be but I think it's more so that they are so busy, not that they are struggling. I did make a complain the other day and got a free £25 voucher. That's the 2nd bad experience that I've had with them recently.

Wiggle on the other had have recently been excellent.

Big John

Guru
I'm sorry to hear about the problem with your bib tights. I think the advice given so far is the right way to go by contacting Castelli. Usually Castelli are good quality garments so it makes you wonder if they're having some clothing manufactured where labour costs are cheaper. I've only got one item of Castelli clothing, a short sleeve top, which I think I bought round about 1993 and it's as good now as when I bought it. I hope you get a successful outcome 👍

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Latest response from Sigma:-

Apparently Castelli kit falls to pieces if you brush against a wall !

"Thank you for your valued feedback.

Firstly I am sorry to hear you have had an issue with a product.

After reviewing the issue and the contact you have had I am afraid I agree with the decision and how it was dealt with. From the images, the bobbling of the material is consistent with an external factor rubbing the material . Potentially this can be brushing against a wall or Velcro being attached in error during washing or in a dryer for example.

This I am afraid is not caused by the material but an external factor, and is not covered under warranty by Castelli nor would this be covered by any other manufacturer under warranty. I am sorry about this.

We have therefore offered you a replacement product at a discount to assist you, but also the product you have is still in working order and can be used.

I will reach out to you to discuss this further and look into a partial refund for you as a goodwill gesture.

Kind Regards,

Matt
(Customer Care Manager)

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I'm sorry to hear about the problem with your bib tights. I think the advice given so far is the right way to go by contacting Castelli. Usually Castelli are good quality garments so it makes you wonder if they're having some clothing manufactured where labour costs are cheaper. I've only got one item of Castelli clothing, a short sleeve top, which I think I bought round about 1993 and it's as good now as when I bought it. I hope you get a successful outcome 👍

Just been on the Turbo on a pair of 10 year old bibs - that are in better nick than the Castelli's ! -

vickster

Legendary Member
Has anything been rubbing against them...other clothing maybe?
I'd go to Castelli as above too, but I think Sigma have been fair if Castelli won't help - after all ultimately the manufacturer is responsible for the quality and resilience of its clothing

^^ suggests that Castelli is of poor quality, not Sigma's CS - your beef should be with Castelli

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Has anything been rubbing against them...other clothing maybe?
I'd go to Castelli as above too, but I think Sigma have been fair if Castelli won't help - after all ultimately the manufacturer is responsible for the quality and resilience of its clothing

^^ suggests that Castelli is of poor quality, not Sigma's CS - your beef should be with Castelli

In legal terms my contract is with the retailler.

I'm quite please he said that bobbling may occur when brushing against a wall - I'm sure Castelli won't want that all over twitter - but hey he said it not me. They have also declined to publish my entirely honest review of the bibs - which would explain why everything is 5* on the sigma website.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Take it up with Castelli - should last longer than a few months, never had issues with velcro damaging bib tights in the wash.

Exactly ! - Velcro doesn't damage - it wouldn't be Widley used if it did - and I use oversocks these days.

vickster

Legendary Member
In legal terms my contract is with the retailler.

I'm quite please he said that bobbling may occur when brushing against a wall - I'm sure Castelli won't want that all over twitter - but hey he said it not me. They have also declined to publish my entirely honest review of the bibs - which would explain why everything is 5* on the sigma website.
Don’t use them again, that’s your choice.

but I still maintain that Castelli are ultimately responsible, they made the product and you’ve not got what you want , he said Castelli won’t do anything, you need to confirm that with them.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Don’t use them again, that’s your choice.

but I still maintain that Castelli are ultimately responsible, they made the product and you’ve not got what you want , he said Castelli won’t do anything, you need to confirm that with them.
Morally maybe, and perhaps they will step in to bolster their reputation, but the only formal responsibility is between the buyer and seller, that being Sigma. If Sigma do take it up then there will exist a responsibility between Sigma and whoever supplied them, whether Castelli directly or a distributor.

vickster

Legendary Member
Then the OP can just shop elsewhere in future, easy :smile:
(and not buy more Castelli as it's clearly a product quality issue with the materials which isn't down to the retailer).

I've never considered Castelli as even if their stuff did fit me, the quality does seem below par given the cost based on reviews I've seen (including this thread)

Top Bottom