Sign of an old fogie #33 - Do you eat marmalade ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
At school we had marmalade at breakfast and teatime. Great stuff, Robinsons Golden Shred scooped into bowls from huge catering tins.

Nowadays it's Frank Cooper Oxford for me, although Mrs Cube occasionally gets Sainsbury three fruits. Edible, but it ain't Oxford thick cut.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Strange that the research suggests most kids are growing up never having tried it. My 6 year old daughter likes it, she used to ask me to pick the bits out but now she recognizes that they're the highlight.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Doubt if my kids, 33 and 35, ever eat it. Nor their kids either.
When do you all eat it? I only have a slice of toast once or twice a week and the go-to spread is always Marmite.

PK99

Legendary Member
Many years ago the Institute of Physics published a book of physics anecdotes - "A random walk in science"

One explained the historical division in England between the Arts/Humanities and Science in terms of Marmalade and German.

from elsewhere:
H B Casimir's essay When does Jam Become Marmalade? in the wonderful A Random Walk in Science is about how the British make a distinction between "jam" and "marmalade" that is nearly incomprehensible to foreigners. Well, it's actually about how the British make a distinction between "science" and other branches of learning which is hard to make in German or Dutch; but jam/marmalade is the vehicle for his point. –

edit: just found a link to the whole piece:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=UGGhM2XKE_0C&pg=PA3&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Marmalade is ace, especially this:

roses.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom