Silent bicycles go quicker.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A colleague that I sometimes ride home with made a comment that resonated; he said "a bicycle should be silent".

Mine never has been, I have never really thought about it much, but the other day a mudguard bolt failed and everything became very rattly. As I made the repair my mate's words were running through my mind so I went about eliminating all the rattles I could by tightening stuff and being more thorough than usual with the lubrication routine.

It didn't work... Riding to work the next morning I became aware that the main rattle was the constant high-pitched one from the frame mounted D-lock; it's a noise that's always there and had become background so going home I put the D-lock in a pannier.

The new total silence has had an interesting side effect: without the haptic-feedback of constant rattle the bicycle somehow feels more comfortable and the tyres feel more forgiving even with the same pressure. It's as if the rattling of the D-lock was fooling my brain into believing the surface to be harsher than it was. I sense the tyres moulding to and gripping the road instead of bouncing across the top. I am also a bit quicker; I do less coasting on the rough bits and do more constant pedalling. Maybe fewer rattles make my subconscious more confident of the surface - "the bicycle is not rattling to bits, it's OK to give it some beans".

Weird.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How does it go?

Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door.

Lonestar

Veteran
Mine is quiet now after putting up with clicking for so long...Then one day at Shadwell on the CS 3 I found out why.:whistle:

I totally get that a noisy drivetrain is inefficient (as you're converting your pedalling into heat and sound as well as forward motion), but I hadn't considered the psychological effect of the feedback and the whole 'at one with the bike, confident in the traction, giving it some beans' aspect which, now I come to think it through, does ring true.

I always notice the silence when I switch to a steel bike. I've just put it down to the simplicity of their drivertrains and being able to feather the gears with friction shifters, where noises are a cue to do something on the fly. With carbon fibre, if it's not a creaking press-fit bottom bracket, it's an internal cable clacking against the downtube or some other random noise. On cobbles, my Kuota sounds like an avant garde concept album!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have to admit I like the sound studded ice tyres make, baffles pedestrian to no end too.
I like that sound because when they are silent it means you're riding on ice!
Cable rattles and the likes annoy me too.
There is a kind of hub, can't remember which one, that one can hear the rider coming from half a mile away, would drive me bananas on my bike.

mangid

Guru
Most definitely, any time I have a creak or noise I don't understand the bike goes slower. this is more down to me than the bike, I can't stand the thought that I might be causing irreparable damage, or even temporary pain to my bike .... I always work to resolve any rattle/knock/tick/noise. Happy burbling chain, and whooshing tyres is all I'll accept.

Top Bottom