Silent bicycles go quicker.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Serge

Über Member
I had a look at those. Any good?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Yes, the diameter of your bars and the availability of cable free, un-taped sections is critical. Mine's mounted right close to the stem but it suits me.

I would have liked one that sat against the left grip on the single speed, but had a similar profile - for that stelthy look

C R

Guru
Space is space. Some of it has stuff in it and some doesn't have much if any. Hope that helps :whistle:
And the stuff is what is needed for there to be sound, space is not enough.

KneesUp

Guru
Yes, it makes a noise when you need it to and looks reasonably stylish.
I've been thinking about getting a bell, and that looks so inoffensive I'm considering investing £1.49 inc. postage in one from China.

OP - since I discovered that all the squeaking I thought was the rear derailleur was in fact loose chain rings and thus made my bike silent again, I'm much happier riding it. If it makes a noise, it means something is wrong.

C R

Guru
I've been thinking about getting a bell, and that looks so inoffensive I'm considering investing £1.49 inc. postage in one from China.

OP - since I discovered that all the squeaking I thought was the rear derailleur was in fact loose chain rings and thus made my bike silent again, I'm much happier riding it. If it makes a noise, it means something is wrong.
Don't, it will be wasted money. I got a cheapo imitation one and it rarely dinged, the spring would just become dislodged.

tyred

Legendary Member
Crane or Lion Bell Works if you want a bell. Might seem a bit pricey but it works better and you will have something to pass on to the grandchildren.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I was tanking along (in excess of 22mph) on the A38 going into Taunton, en route from Tiverton to Oxford last weekend, and was surprised when a 'silent' bicycle came past me at some speed (I estimate at about 35mph) with a 'normal' frame (from what I could see from behind) and 2 inch + tyres. He was not pedaling. Silent bikes go quicker.

I was tanking along (in excess of 22mph) on the A38 going into Taunton, en route from Tiverton to Oxford last weekend, and was surprised when a 'silent' bicycle came past me at some speed (I estimate at about 35mph) with a 'normal' frame (from what I could see from behind) and 2 inch + tyres. He was not pedaling. Silent bikes go quicker.
especially silent bikes with motors ;)

Top Bottom