Silent bicycles go quicker.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Campagnolo or nothing in our house!

Shimano mainly in mine, although SRAM on 3 MTB's ^_^

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
What still surprises me is the dreadful racket that some modern freehubs make. My old 6-speed freewheels are silent when coasting, but some of the people I ride with have freehubs that sound like football rattles.

I had an interesting conversation with Mrs V, whilst riding....

Mrs V : "Can you ride behind me ? I can't stand the noise of that bike"
Me : "But you have the same hub as me"

I must say though, you don't notice how loud Hope hubs are whilst riding, unless you hear them on someone else's bike

Serge

Über Member
A colleague that I sometimes ride home with made a comment that resonated; he said "a bicycle should be silent".

Mine never has been, I have never really thought about it much, but the other day a mudguard bolt failed and everything became very rattly. As I made the repair my mate's words were running through my mind so I went about eliminating all the rattles I could by tightening stuff and being more thorough than usual with the lubrication routine.

It didn't work... Riding to work the next morning I became aware that the main rattle was the constant high-pitched one from the frame mounted D-lock; it's a noise that's always there and had become background so going home I put the D-lock in a pannier.

The new total silence has had an interesting side effect: without the haptic-feedback of constant rattle the bicycle somehow feels more comfortable and the tyres feel more forgiving even with the same pressure. It's as if the rattling of the D-lock was fooling my brain into believing the surface to be harsher than it was. I sense the tyres moulding to and gripping the road instead of bouncing across the top. I am also a bit quicker; I do less coasting on the rough bits and do more constant pedalling. Maybe fewer rattles make my subconscious more confident of the surface - "the bicycle is not rattling to bits, it's OK to give it some beans".

Weird.
Good post, that makes a lot of sense.

D

Deleted member 1258

What still surprises me is the dreadful racket that some modern freehubs make. My old 6-speed freewheels are silent when coasting, but some of the people I ride with have freehubs that sound like football rattles.

My Eastway came with a hub that was as quiet as a church mouse, unfortunately as a result of pothole damage I had to have a new hub, the freewheel on that is a right noisy sod and your football rattle description sums it up nicely.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Y’all just need to ride fast enough that the sound is behind you before it can reach your ears!!

:becool:

colly

Re member eR
A colleague that I sometimes ride home with made a comment that resonated; he said "a bicycle should be silent".

Mine never has been, I have never really thought about it much, but the other day a mudguard bolt failed and everything became very rattly. As I made the repair my mate's words were running through my mind so I went about eliminating all the rattles I could by tightening stuff and being more thorough than usual with the lubrication routine.

It didn't work... Riding to work the next morning I became aware that the main rattle was the constant high-pitched one from the frame mounted D-lock; it's a noise that's always there and had become background so going home I put the D-lock in a pannier.

The new total silence has had an interesting side effect: without the haptic-feedback of constant rattle the bicycle somehow feels more comfortable and the tyres feel more forgiving even with the same pressure. It's as if the rattling of the D-lock was fooling my brain into believing the surface to be harsher than it was. I sense the tyres moulding to and gripping the road instead of bouncing across the top. I am also a bit quicker; I do less coasting on the rough bits and do more constant pedalling. Maybe fewer rattles make my subconscious more confident of the surface - "the bicycle is not rattling to bits, it's OK to give it some beans".

Weird.

How on earth did you not sort it out before?:ohmy:
I can not ABIDE any rattles clicks, creaks, or rubbing noises. Instantly need attention.
I felt rather than heard a slight sort of tap under my right foot a while ago. Barely discernable but it was there for sure.
Stopping and cleaning around the cleat and pedal sorted it out even though l didnt see any mud or stones caught in there.
Drives me bonkers tbh.

Silence is golden. One reason l like fixed

mgs315

Considering I was overtaken by one of the local travelling fraternity on their two-stroke dirt bike the other day I’m thinking that quieter isn’t necessarily faster. I’ll let you know when I regain full hearing.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I must admit I like my bikes to be running perfectly at all times and any little noises get investigated immediately. There have been a few times recently where storms have stripped the oil from my chain and replaced it with soil, every turn of the cranks and the accompanying screech affected me deeply :laugh:

Crankarm

Guru

Weird.

Downside is you will now need a bell or an Airzound. At least with a noisy bike people can hear you approaching and get out the way.

Top Bottom