Silly cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Code:
If you really want my opinion, this thread indicates Gaz has run out of things to do with the helmet cam he bought.
That's called 'scraping the barrel'.

There's a thread in Cafe about items people have bought that turn out to be pointless.

Oh dear jim. I think it is you who are scraping the barrel. Mmm. So what has my camera done for me....mmmm, let me see:

Roads! Oh er, wait a minute, wrong film! ;)

1000 buses carried stickers letting them know that they should give cyclists room.
A good number of drivers who have been reprimanded for their poor driving.
Two drivers who have had the police visit them to 'discuss' their poor driving.
One driver charged with Dangerous Driving (still pending).
Numerous personal e-mails thanking me for my videos with a good few saying that they have changed the way they cycle/drive as a result.
Numerous discussions on here where we have talked in depth about different cycling strategies in real life situations.
Numerous discussions on other forums where other road users have discussed cyclist/ driver interactions (some bad, but a surprising number of reasoned commenting as well).
Plenty of publicity surrounding the use of helmet cameras and the need for respect on the roads from a cyclists perspective.
Getting called an Al-Que-Pedal cyclist by John Smeaton (My crowning achievement!)

etc.

What have you done jim, apart from moan on here?

Fran143

Über Member
Oh dear jim. I think it is you who are scraping the barrel. Mmm. So what has my camera done for me....mmmm, let me see:

Roads! Oh er, wait a minute, wrong film! ;)

1000 buses carried stickers letting them know that they should give cyclists room.
A good number of drivers who have been reprimanded for their poor driving.
Two drivers who have had the police visit them to 'discuss' their poor driving.
One driver charged with Dangerous Driving (still pending).
Numerous personal e-mails thanking me for my videos with a good few saying that they have changed the way they cycle/drive as a result.
Numerous discussions on here where we have talked in depth about different cycling strategies in real life situations.
Numerous discussions on other forums where other road users have discussed cyclist/ driver interactions (some bad, but a surprising number of reasoned commenting as well).
Plenty of publicity surrounding the use of helmet cameras and the need for respect on the roads from a cyclists perspective.
Getting called an Al-Que-Pedal cyclist by John Smeaton (My crowning achievement!)

etc.

What have you done jim, apart from moan on here?

:biggrin: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I certainly wasn't expecting this.

Jimboalee - As i said, i'm not out to get anyone, i just show what i see.
If you think i did something wrong, fair enough, i've never said i'm perfect and i'm open to critiscium on any of my videos. Espcially if it makes me a safer cyclist. I'm sure you can come up with something better than me passing a cyclist that is filtering past traffic. It wasn't dangerous in that situation as i had a clear view of the road ahead and any potential hazards appearing from the cars. And if i couldn't see or if it would be dangerous to do, i wouldn't do it.

Jezston (I think) -
Thanks for the tips on the audio, i will try that out for my next recording. I was using the mic that is on my computer but i'll see if i can use one of my gaming mics as that should sort out the issue's you mentioned.

To everyone else - Thanks for the comments.

jimboalee

Gaz.

There are some folks out there, not only cyclists, who prefer not to be filmed whether they are doing wrong or right.

Most of the individuals on your vids have little understanding that what they have done is 'silly'. Some, I'm sure, are quite aware that they are flounting the law and their luck.

In a big city environment, this kind of thing happens. Roadusers who are in a hurry for some reason take risks. I've seen it for several decades. I've also witnessed violent outbursts. Yeh, road rage. And 'bike rage' on the traffic island at Perry Barr outside the Crown and Cushion.
It was quite shocking. A motorist criticised a cyclist's move around the traffic and the cyclist jumped off and went in the car through the drivers window fists flying.

People don't like being humiliated. Us here don't see it that way, but the person who is being filmed doing something 'silly' and it appears on Youtube may well do.

All I say is... Take care.

adds21

Rider of bikes

Who?

Not the guy who "thwarted" the attempted deadly destruction of the entire Glasgow airport by crashing a car containing a can of petrol into a door? (I’m mocking the media for blowing the whole thing out of proportion by the way, fair play to John Smeaton for having a go).

Even so, it's a little sad if your crowning achievment is being insulted by a nobody. Sorry.

Who?

Not the guy who "thwarted" the attempted deadly destruction of the entire Glasgow airport by crashing a car containing a can of petrol into a door? (I’m mocking the media for blowing the whole thing out of proportion by the way, fair play to John Smeaton for having a go).

Even so, it's a little sad if your crowning achievment is being insulted by a nobody. Sorry.

Yes it was him.....and psst....I was joking! :biggrin:

Chutzpah

Über Member
Gaz,

My personal view is that there's no problem with doing this... cyclists are more than happy to record bad driving, yet we know that some people's cycling leaves a lot to be desired (and causes others to tar us all with the same brush)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oh Lordy, I'm seriously worried. No really, I am. There were some moves that looked a bit silly, but nothing too awful, surely? No going up the inside of Ready-Mix trucks or RouteMasters at junctions.

Do I take too many risks? It looks like a pretty normal commute to me.

davefb

Guru
Oh Lordy, I'm seriously worried. No really, I am. There were some moves that looked a bit silly, but nothing too awful, surely? No going up the inside of Ready-Mix trucks or RouteMasters at junctions.

Do I take too many risks? It looks like a pretty normal commute to me.

err there is an 'inside' on an indicating car, an indicating bin wagon and a 'cycling head on into a bus'.. walking thru red lights... eh?

those at the minimum looks pretty 'silly' to me :biggrin:

i can understand some people might get angry, but tbh, it's all about education isnt it.. ( and i really need to get to the habit of looking more..)

jimboalee

The silliest cyclist.

The fifty year old bloke who thinks he's twenty years younger, with great big quadriceps riding in teeshirt, running shorts and rough old trainers on a ladies 20" shopping bike at 13.5 mph round the Birmingham outer circle bus route; maybe the scariest route in south east Brum.

That's me going to BikePro Racing in Kings Heath.

Silly - NEVER rides in 'Primary'. Lets cars past. Stops behind buses. Puts foot on curb at junctions. No helmet. Garmin Edge 605 ( just in case I lose my way ).

Sound, camera, ACTION.

taxing

I didn't see anything wrong with Episode 10, number 2. :wacko: If a car had pulled out covering the bus lane but had stopped then I would get into the other lane too, assuming that he was going to stay there until it was safe for him to go any further. He pulled out all the way when the cyclist was pretty much on top of him, did the cyclist have much choice but to go around him?

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I didn't see anything wrong with Episode 10, number 2. :wacko: If a car had pulled out covering the bus lane but had stopped then I would get into the other lane too, assuming that he was going to stay there until it was safe for him to go any further. He pulled out all the way when the cyclist was pretty much on top of him, did the cyclist have much choice but to go around him?
I could see the traffic ahead was edging forward, and Could see the car would be moving forward if I went past it on the right, the driver isn't going to expect a cyclist there and so won't be looking for you, if they then choose to change into the right lane then there is a chance of being hit.
Slowing down and moving behind it is much more sensible.

taxing

I could see the traffic ahead was edging forward, and Could see the car would be moving forward if I went past it on the right, the driver isn't going to expect a cyclist there and so won't be looking for you, if they then choose to change into the right lane then there is a chance of being hit.
Slowing down and moving behind it is much more sensible.

Why weren't they, was there traffic behind not moving? (I can't remember and can't view the video now.)

Top Bottom