Silly Neighbour - what would you do ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My only advice would be to forget about the unfortunate mirror episode and any thoughts of retribution. If you don't, increasing unhappiness will follow.

Also, get your car off the pavement. It doesn't belong there.

shirokazan

Veteran
...It is not illegal to park on the pavement—-but—- it is an offence to obstruct the pavement and also to drive on the pavement, or footway I think is the technical term. Work that one out. ...
Lowered into place by helicopter or crane.

Drago

Legendary Member
Plenty of keyboard warriors going on about pavement parking - that's not the main issue, it's the deliberate attempt at damage.

Do what? It's the absolute heart of the matter, the very driver that brought the situation about. I'm not excusing his behaviour - he's clearly a nodder - but he can't fold back mirrors of cars parked on the footway if they're, erm, not on the footway.

That's not an assessment of who's righteous or not in this situation. That's simply a pragmatic assessment - his antisocial mirror folding is a response to your antisocial parking.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If the car wasnt on the pavement, this probably would not have happened. Of course its the main issue.

The neighbour is a prat and there is no offence of attempted criminal damage. Im sure if he really wanted to break the mirror he could have done.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do what? It's the absolute heart of the matter, the very driver that brought the situation about. I'm not excusing his behaviour - he's clearly a nodder - but he can't fold back mirrors of cars parked on the footway if they're, erm, not on the footway.

That's not an assessment of who's righteous or not in this situation. That's simply a pragmatic assessment - his antisocial mirror folding is a response to your antisocial parking.

There was room to pass and the car had just been there 30 minutes. There is a difference between folding it and shoulder barging it though.

He's been parked all day completely blocking the pavement 4 doors down from his current house, so why does he see a need to fold my mirror when you could walk past our car, his you can't. The guy is a nut job, so I'm leaving it there.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I write from the countryside, where my yard is big enough for a dozen trucks. a few tractors, a sawmill and the odd runaround. A few SORNED scrappers waitin for a parts strip.
Sorry :sad:
Must be tough in town where there is no room. Just been to see my old mum and had to go through a few dormitory villages n the way on the bike. The average cars parked on one street I clocked was three to the drive. Lots spilling out on to pavements, verges etc. Utter carnage.
There is a blind fellow lives in my old dear's cul de sac. He gets about with a cane. All the neighbours now park all their cars on the road or their drive, so he can get by. Considerate. No arguments.
When I was a boy a man opposite parked his transit van inconsiderately one day. My father and the lad across jacked the heap and towed it several streets away to the railway sidings, where it slipped its moorings on the embankment. Once picked over for wheels and water pumps etc it was toast....
But really, what have you to gain from getting riled about your mirror? Where does it all end? I mean, havent you something better to worry about?

keithmac

Guru
Should have to prove you have a space off road to keep your car before you are allowed to own one imho.

Some people take the p1ss round my way bringing works vans home and parking half way down the street.

Can't abide pavement parking either.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Where I live in London, people often have to park fifty or a hundred yards from their front doors. It's just part and parcel of living amongst other people. Those who think they have "their" parking space on a public highway are ridiculed.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What has @Accy have to say about it? He has lots of experience with bad neighbours.
Heck,that's one big invite to let off steam and bore you all to :tired:, but i'm going to accept the invitation. From my past hassles in similar situations i'd side with Fossy over his neighbour.
I know he's been parking on the pavement,but as he said it's not a busy pavement. ,so it's not inconveniencing many if any pedestrians. It seems that unless you live at least 50 yards away from the nearest house,flat,shop etc you can encounter overcrowding hassles.. I take a walk up to the 'posh' area of where I live and see these nice £300,000 houses (that's posh around here,even if it's
not where you lot live) and you'd think how idyllic. Yet I know a bloke who lives up there who tells me about the on the front verbal altercations over such things as we're discussing in this thread. Are Jimmy Page and 'the Robster' still having neighbourly disputes over such trivial matters to us plebs,but huge to those who've feck all to worry about?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Heck,that's one big invite to let off steam and bore you all to :tired:, but i'm going to accept the invitation. From my past hassles in similar situations i'd side with Fossy over his neighbour.
I know he's been parking on the pavement,but as he said it's not a busy pavement. ,so it's not inconveniencing many if any pedestrians. It seems that unless you live at least 50 yards away from the nearest house,flat,shop etc you can encounter overcrowding hassles.. I take a walk up to the 'posh' area of where I live and see these nice £300,000 houses (that's posh around here,(even if it's
not where you lot live) and you'd think how idyllic. Yet I know a bloke who lives up there who tells me about the on the front verbal altercations over such things as we're discussing in this thread. Are Jimmy Page and 'the Robster' still having neighbourly disputes over such trivial matters to us plebs,but huge to those who've feck all to worry about?
Accy

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Where I live in London, people often have to park fifty or a hundred yards from their front doors. It's just part and parcel of living amongst other people. Those who think they have "their" parking space on a public highway are ridiculed.

In a way that's good. I park my car where I can't see it from my flat. I could park it a bit closer and have it in view, but if I saw someone messing with it my first thought would be get out there and then do what? Out of sight ,out of mind is ok for me.

johnnyb47

Guru
I think you're doing the right thing @fossyant. I can fully understand you wanting to have a word with this idiot, but it may be just be the catalyst for him to then escalate it. No damage done thankfully, so just park legally and keep the camera trained on your car. If he's got half a brain cell he will know that he will be caught on film if he does any criminal damage. Keep the old footage though just in case it's ever needed in the future.

Drago

Legendary Member
Should have to prove you have a space off road to keep your car before you are allowed to own one imho.

Some people take the p1ss round my way bringing works vans home and parking half way down the street.

Can't abide pavement parking either.

Here here. Cars drive on roads, and should be stored off road unless in a marked parking bay. The thoughtlessness of people who think it's ok to inflict their tin box on the rest of us when they're not driving it is absolutely staggering. Unfortunately, most of those affected are also tin box pilots who would gladly do the same thing if it happened to be convenient for them, so little ever changes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Here here. Cars drive on roads, and should be stored off road unless in a marked parking bay. The thoughtlessness of people who think it's ok to inflict their tin box on the rest of us when they're not driving it is absolutely staggering. Unfortunately, most of those affected are also tin box pilots who would gladly do the same thing if it happened to be convenient for them, so little ever changes.
What about the people who live in old Victorian Terraced houses.

Top Bottom