Silly reason for choosing to buy or not buy something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don’t buy brands of breakfast cereal if the name is not on the small side of the box (so that you can see what it is on the shelf without pulling it out).
I did not buy a car once because the buttons in the central console were unevenly spaced and had more on one side than the other.

What do you not buy for some silly reason? Or are there any great purchases that were clinched for a minor reason?

I try not to purchase anything which is advertised on TV.

beanzontoast said:
I won't buy bottled water. I realise it can be convenient, and I guess it's my age, but it just seems a crazy concept to me.

+2
Yesterday, returning from walking Jack the Dog, residents in one of the local streets had put their LB of Hounslow recycling bags out - this week it is plastic packaging. I walked past one bag full of 'collapsed' plastic bottles - the product on the label was Tesco 'Value' Water. What? It was on my mind a lot yesterday...;)

Sorry - veering OT.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Aperitif said:
+2
I walked past one bag full of 'collapsed' plastic bottles - the product on the label was Tesco 'Value' Water. What? It was on my mind a lot yesterday...;)

Sorry - veering OT.

Continuing the veer, I HAD to buy bottled water the other week as we were visiting a grave and I forgot to bring water for the plants so nipped into a sainsburys and bought Sainsburys Basics 'Table water' for 13p a 1.5 litre bottle. I am presuming there is a factory/room somewhere with people just filling up the bottles with water out the tap.

I once bought a car then realised the stereo didn't have numbers on the volume dial (they always have to be even) so I sold it VERY shortly after the purchase, in hindsight I could have just bought a new stereo!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
upsidedown said:
I won't buy anything that has an annoying advert on TV or a crap website.

So you check every products website before you buy it? :wacko::wacko::biggrin:

;)

Mr Pig

My Aunt once spent a fortune in a children's clothes shop to piss off the shop assistant.

She walked into the shop with her five kids. The assistant took one look at her lowly attire and politely suggested that the clothes in the shop might be too expensive for her. What the assistant didn't know was that my Aunt's husband was the distribution manager for a large company and they were actually quite well off. So, after she'd given the assistant an ear-full, she bought loads of clothes.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Mr Pig said:
My Aunt once spent a fortune in a children's clothes shop to piss off the shop assistant.

She walked into the shop with her five kids. The assistant took one look at her lowly attire and politely suggested that the clothes in the shop might be too expensive for her. What the assistant didn't know was that my Aunt's husband was the distribution manager for a large company and they were actually quite well off. So, after she'd given the assistant an ear-full, she bought loads of clothes.

Sounds like something out of a movie.... Did you watch pretty woman last night? :wacko:

How would spending loads of money in the womans shop annoy her? :biggrin::wacko: ;)

Mr Pig said:

Something similar happened to us. Mrs B and I (very newly married and with savings money to spend setting up our first house) went into an expensive furniture shop to look at a 3-piece suite. The assitant, a middle-aged guy, took one look at us in t-shirts, jeans and trainers said brusquely: "That chair you've got your hand on is £500 and the settee costs over £1000." I managed to avoid telling him where he could shove his furniture. Just.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I won't buy bottled water either. And I'm starting to suss out which pubs make a charge for wi-fi access and which don't. Those that don't will get my continued beery custom. ;)

Top Bottom