Silly reason for choosing to buy or not buy something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Doesn't want any spawn of Bernie Ecclestone, I guess ... :whistle:

PBancroft

I have purchased bottled water on many occasions. I quite often have a bottle as part of "emergency" supplies in the boot of my car, in case of breaking down, traffic jams etc., - more important in extreme conditions, but I tend to keep some there all year anyway. I very rarely drink it, but its good to know its there, along with the bag of assorted nuts. Other than that, I don't touch the stuff.

I try to avoid F1 seeds, but I have used them. I understand that the main drawback is that it is harder to use seeds taken from an F1 plant for another year's crop - the resulting plant can be a bit shoddy. As I rarely do that, its not so much of an issue for me.

GrasB

Veteran
I got told once by a friend who works for VW group as manager of their midlands dealerships (covering audi, VW, Seat etc) of a bloke who'd gone into a BMW showroom looking to buy, on the spot, in cash, a BMW M3

the sales monkeys hardly gave him the time of day because he was in jeans and a T shirt

he crossed the road into the Audi dealership, was greeted by a polite salesman who asked how he could help "i'd like to buy something that is comparable to an M3"

"this way sir"
Similar story with my Alfa. I was after a powerful AWD diesel estate, that was 3 options Alfa 159 SW, Audi A6 & Volvo V70. I arrived by bike to all 3 dealers, cycling shoes casual trousers & MTB cycling jersey & small backpack. The Volvo salesman took one look at me, rolled his eyes & decided I wasn't worth his time. He never really found out what I was after. In both the Audi & Alfa dealerships I was taken seriously from the start. My decision between the 2 was made on how the cars drove not by the way I was treated by the dealer.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Main dealers' car showroom attitudes are a reasonably good indicator for how you will get treated by their Service Departments.

They get all sorts wandering in messing around so it's no wonder they can be edgy and non-commital with someone who looks scruffy, who doesn't immediately say that they are interested in buying.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I don’t buy brands of breakfast cereal if the name is not on the small side of the box (so that you can see what it is on the shelf without pulling it out).
I did not buy a car once because the buttons in the central console were unevenly spaced and had more on one side than the other.

What do you not buy for some silly reason? Or are there any great purchases that were clinched for a minor reason?

Name changes have stopped me buying products:

Never bought a Snicker bar
Never bought what ever Opal Fruits became
Never bought Jif cleaning products since they were rebranded to sound like the diminutive of an STD

Arch

Married to Night Train
Name changes have stopped me buying products:

Never bought a Snicker bar
Never bought what ever Opal Fruits became

If you're not too bothereed about eating them, then I guess that's fine. If you really liked Marathon or Opal Fruits (Starburst, BTW), that seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It strikes me that it's being as influenced by marketing, as it would be if you chose to buy them because the name changed.

Having said that, I stopped buying Yorkies when they started the "It's not for girls" campaign. Fair enough I thought, I won't buy one then. Struck me as especially stupid to claim a product wasn't for half the population. But to be honest, I rarely bought them in the years before, because they'd changed the recipe (ironically to a less 'manly' Galaxy consistency) and they weren't like they were when I used to like them as a kid.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It strikes me that it's being as influenced by marketing, as it would be if you chose to buy them because the name changed.

The names just don't appeal to me and I must confess that the confectionery in question only had a marginal appeal anyway.

It's no great loss to my dietary habits :thumbsup:

Remember the topic of the thread?

Silly reasons... yada yada yada

Arch

Married to Night Train
The names just don't appeal to me and I must confess that the confectionery in question only had a marginal appeal anyway.

It's no great loss to my dietary habits :thumbsup:

That's fine then. I don't like either of them myself either, so it was never an issue.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't know whether it counts as 'silly', but I do bear a grudge. After a couple of years' eating lunch in a cafe, I one day said after the meal that I'd rather not pay for the tomatoes since I hadn't eaten them because they were cold on the inside and burnt on the outside. Instead of doing what they should have done for a long time customer -apologised profusely and torn up the whole bill - they gave me a dirty look and knocked off 40p. (Tomatoes were 50p, not that it matters, but I noticed.) Needless to say, I never went there again.

Top Bottom