Silly reason for choosing to buy or not buy something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wigsie said:
You obviously have the look of a peasant Beanz. ;)

I love dressing down when I'm not at work, me. :wacko:

Just goes to show though - the assistant made a judgement, got it badly wrong and did his shop out of maybe 2 grand of sales that day, plus we never set foot in the place again.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I know the feeling though, I have a pair of jeans that I bought 8 or 9 years ago and I have refused to throw them away. They are now ripped at both knees just above the knee and seriosly frayed at the bottom around the heel but they are still the most comfy pair of jeans I own but i do get some frowns when I go anywhere in public with them on.

Just goes to show people can be judgemental and snobbish outside of the cycling fraternity! :wacko::ohmy::ohmy: ;)

Wigsie said:
I know the feeling though, I have a pair of jeans that I bought 8 or 9 years ago and I have refused to throw them away. They are now ripped at both knees just above the knee and seriosly frayed at the bottom around the heel but they are still the most comfy pair of jeans I own but i do get some frowns when I go anywhere in public with them on.

Just goes to show people can be judgemental and snobbish outside of the cycling fraternity! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: :laugh:

Maybe if I'd turned up in full lycra...? :evil:

I got told once by a friend who works for VW group as manager of their midlands dealerships (covering audi, VW, Seat etc) of a bloke who'd gone into a BMW showroom looking to buy, on the spot, in cash, a BMW M3

the sales monkeys hardly gave him the time of day because he was in jeans and a T shirt

he crossed the road into the Audi dealership, was greeted by a polite salesman who asked how he could help "i'd like to buy something that is comparable to an M3"

"this way sir"

thomas

the tank engine
mickle said:
I try not to purchase anything which is advertised on TV.

haha, I'm awful for that...I don't like thinking I'm being pursuaded into buying something.

Black Sheep said:
I got told once by a friend who works for VW group as manager of their midlands dealerships (covering audi, VW, Seat etc) of a bloke who'd gone into a BMW showroom looking to buy, on the spot, in cash, a BMW M3

the sales monkeys hardly gave him the time of day because he was in jeans and a T shirt

he crossed the road into the Audi dealership, was greeted by a polite salesman who asked how he could help "i'd like to buy something that is comparable to an M3"

"this way sir"

:evil::biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Wigsie said:
I once bought a car then realised the stereo didn't have numbers on the volume dial (they always have to be even) so I sold it VERY shortly after the purchase, in hindsight I could have just bought a new stereo!
That is one of the most deranged things I've ever heard! Well done!

Re one of the other messages - that bit in Pretty Woman is just one of the great movie 'bits' of all time. I can't imagine anyone seeing that and not thinking 'God I'd love to do that!'

Mr Pig

Wigsie said:
How would spending loads of money in the woman's shop annoy her?

I don't think the assistant in question owned the shop. My Aunt is a bit of a stroppy moo and it's not very surprising that the assistant assumed she had no money. She smokes, is foul mouthed and dresses like a bag lady half of the time.

Ironically she now has no money as she and her husband split up years ago and she never bothered doing anything resembling work.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
swee said:
I HAVE to have a car with a stereo that has numbers on the volume... other than that I am relatively normal. Whenever I get in a car I always check the volume of the stereo (even if i am not driving). :tongue::evil:

Which is the biggest fault on my BMW, however I have found a loop hole where I can turn the stereo off then as I turn it on each volume increment is signalled with a small click so I can ensure I am on an even number of clicks. I never use the volume controls on the steering wheel because its a smoothincrease/decease and I have no idea what volume increment i am on.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Even if "Which" magazine make the product the best in its category, I will not buy anything that has anything to do with Manchester United, and not only what's on their shirt. I once cancelled my firm's phone contract with Vodaphone (which was the best of the providers out there at the time) when they became the Great Satan's shirt sponsor.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
beanzontoast said:
I won't buy bottled water. I realise it can be convenient, and I guess it's my age, but it just seems a crazy concept to me.

And whats with the sell by date when its supposedly filtered through rocks in the alps or wherever for thousands of years?? To quote that old wise man Jim Royle - "my arse"..................the bottles are probably filled from a tap round the back of the factory:biggrin:

Im lucky tho, where I work the water all comes from a natural spring up in a mountain behind the house, theres no mains water there at all. And the difference in taste to mine at home is noticeable.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I won't buy anything that has blatent branding or logos on it because if they want me to be their advertising bill board then they should be giving me the item and paying me each time I go out with it. I even turn carrier bags inside out when I have to use one.

I also won't buy bottled water or anything that has an annoying advert or stupid branding or labeling.

Like in the BMW/Audi example, I won't buy from a shop or outlet that doesn't respect all customers equally. Sometimes I have to pop out to a shop when I am at work and looking a mess.

I also won't buy anything that has any connection to sport, religion or politics.

Apart from being the closest to my spceifications and requirements, one of the reasons I bought my car was that it had dash board vents that closed flush and didn't need a pipe cleaner to dust. Also because it had a little drop down sun visor ahead of the rear view mirror to fill the gap between the two main sun visors.:angry:
The other thing about buying a Skoda was that I couldn't justify spending more for the same car but with a VW or Audi badge on it.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
It seems to me theres lots of people on here with varying degrees of OCD.........

Glad im not alone......................:angry:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Lisa21 said:
It seems to me theres lots of people on here with varying degrees of OCD.........

Glad im not alone......................:smile:

I think everyone has a bit of OCD... thats my excuse and I am sticking to it !

i won't fly ryanair partly because of their "£1" flights + taxes etc etc + wheel chair fee!! ( a friend found out the hard way)

i won't buy anything from a bike shop that won't let me take the bike inside with me! (the exception being one that has good bike parking outside / is very busy, eg cannock chase / if my bike is caked in mud.

Top Bottom