Silly STRAVA Racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Ok-couple of questions/points:

-I set up a segment on Sunday & it [strava] told me to wait a bit as it was calculating stuff. It's still not made the segment?
-Does it include time stopped at lights etc? My garmin has the automatic timer stop thingy set up when my speed is zero, however looking at the Cat & Fiddle climb I did a while back I suspect Strava includes all time.
-it's not very easy to see the direction of travel.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think it is based upon elapsed time, so traffic lights are tricky. It should have made the segment straight away - check the My Segments tab to see. It only takes time to add other folk's times into it - this can take a while (like a day or two initially). Direction of travel is indicated by a chequered flag as the end on each segment. Just takes a little getting used to it.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Out in the countryside South of Manchester and up into the Peaks you are quite often up against pros from various teams including the Rapha guys and even some of the GB team. They kick butt on some sections particularly long steep climbs despite their rides being 100 miles plus. Makes you realise you aren't even vaguley fast as they won't even be trying. It is good fun though.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Out in the countryside South of Manchester and up into the Peaks you are quite often up against pros from various teams including the Rapha guys and even some of the GB team. They kick butt on some sections particularly long steep climbs despite their rides being 100 miles plus. Makes you realise you aren't even vaguley fast as they won't even be trying. It is good fun though.
I have a few on my segments where their Strava avatar is them in full TT kit pointy helmet etc, one even admits to going to a section just to attack the KOM lol

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Yup as you know Foz I'm in and was saying at work today just how much harder the commute has become because of Strava and chasing segments all the time and not knowing when you might be on a new one

I love the competitive nature of it and long may it continue!!!

caimg

Über Member
I'm so mega fu*#{!|* p*shrj off! I've just been killing myself caning it around the regents park loop to improve my Strava PB, got back home, and Cyclemeter's GPS had malfunctioned just as I was leaving the house and didn't record anything!! NOOOOOOO!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This appropriately named segment is by far the silliest on my regular post-work ride:
http://app.strava.com/segments/785532

I've never attempted to be competitive on it... but mainly because the lights and traffic conditions are never in my favour.

I'm 46th out of 362 on this segment, which I'm quite happy with, considering that some of the names at the top end are proper racers and I'm just a MAMIL:
http://app.strava.com/segments/651024

And I have the KOM in my sights on this segment - I'm sure I can find 8 seconds somewhere if I put my mind to it:
http://app.strava.com/segments/821176

I have a couple of KOMs local to home, though there doesn't appear to be much in the way of proper competition. Here are two to aim at if you're ever down my way:
http://app.strava.com/segments/1328954
http://app.strava.com/segments/1317840

d.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The auto-stop thing / elapsed vs rolling time is a bit annoying. I recorded a PB going into work yesterday morning. Garmin said 17.73mph rolling (I go through* about 50 sets of lights) and the Strava upload from the same device showed it at something like 15.5, bah!

*Yes I do stop if they are red :tongue:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I have a few on my segments where their Strava avatar is them in full TT kit pointy helmet etc, one even admits to going to a section just to attack the KOM lol

Some do.

The Cat and Fiddle has a time that is in line with the hill climb TT winners times - there is no way you'd get near it on a proper ride. There are also one or two suspect results where it's obvious they have drafted a truck up a small climb, as their speed is like 4 mph faster than anyone else.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Yup as you know Foz I'm in and was saying at work today just how much harder the commute has become because of Strava and chasing segments all the time and not knowing when you might be on a new one

I love the competitive nature of it and long may it continue!!!

I mentioned about this to a colleage, and showed him the technology - i.e. garmin - he was amazed pedal bikes had this, and was even more floored when I explained about this site where you could all ride against each other competitively in a 'virtual' environment. :laugh:

potsy

Rambler
I mentioned about this to a colleage, and showed him the technology - i.e. garmin - he was amazed pedal bikes had this, and was even more floored when I explained about this site where you could all ride against each other competitively in a 'virtual' environment. :laugh:
Another colleague/mate has just signed up :thumbsup:
We should be meeting up on Thursday morning for a 'go' at brinny hill :laugh:

Top Bottom