Silly STRAVA Racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Oh tell me about that, I have zero KoM on my route, one section my best is 6th overall. Some of the speeds uphills are amazing. Also you don't know if they drafting or being led up, the comments on each ride are from the same people

Scruffmonster

Über Member
What makes it crazier is you take a look at their total commute average speed and it's only 1mph faster or quits with your own. Need to learn to sprint methinks.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You have to pick conditions. Last Friday was good (not ideal) for the full on assault that happened on Brinksway. Potsy had had a massive caffeine fix I think then flew up the climb, then sent a PM etc... Me and Potsy's colleague at work went, and did an attack home (me - I made a detour and doubled back). We all uploaded, and some bugger was first.

Me, Potsy and John (Potsys mate) had killed ourseves to be knocked back. Happens the fella had been in his car, and I PM'ed him this week, and he took it down after I explained about the massive assault. Very nice of him and It's logged on the segment.

Me and John only equalled the other guy's time - I'd previously thought this had been a draft from a bus or van, but you have to wait for ideal conditions. I think Brinksway can be beat, but only in the dead of Winter with a howling gale.

Andrew_P

Fossy has hit the nail, it is Silly Segment Racing as really a bit silly unless you were doing the same segments at the same time they are not really comparable, but they are serious fun and add quite a bit to commuting!

My old routine was uploading Garmin -> Endomondo then last Strava, this week Strava got promoted to number 1..:laugh:

With the wind pointing North, an unusal tailwind an extra hour in bed, with a nice summer induced hangover I increased my avg by almost 2mph. http://app.strava.com/segments/976360 I cannot ever see me getting KOM on that lol!

Another interesting stat, well interesting for me is that my top 10 times up that segment have all been in April and May this year.

I have emailed Strava and made a suggestion that they should also issue age related KOM which was a bit vain of me hehe

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Uploaded all of my rides from my garmin history and i've got around 8 KOM's. Awesome.
Seen a few where i'm 2nd place by only a second or two :sad:

Andrew_P

Uploaded all of my rides from my garmin history and i've got around 8 KOM's. Awesome.
Seen a few where i'm 2nd place by only a second or two :sad:
I had noticed you suddenly appear on the Coulsdon Bypass two step under the CycleChat leaderboard... from 2010 :-)

400bhp

Guru
I have emailed Strava and made a suggestion that they should also issue age related KOM which was a bit vain of me hehe

The website has so much potential - for example, can you imagine if you could download routes and your satnav would alert you to upcoming segments.

And, they hold a lot of stats and are only scratching the surface - they could have a summary of all your top 10's/top quartile/decile/average position in segments. Could also have some kind of comparison with the pro's etc etc.

I reckon Garmin must be keeping an eye on them with a view to buy it.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The website has so much potential - for example, can you imagine if you could download routes and your satnav would alert you to upcoming segments.

And, they hold a lot of stats and are only scratching the surface - they could have a summary of all your top 10's/top quartile/decile/average position in segments. Could also have some kind of comparison with the pro's etc etc.

I reckon Garmin must be keeping an eye on them with a view to buy it.
Some have suggested it already.
Most saying it is fine for premium only, which is a disappointment as it to me, it is such an important feature. I have so many segments on my commute it would be nice to see which I have passed through and what my ranking is in each.

Top Bottom