Silly STRAVA Racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I thought that I had clocked a good time on a segment today, only to find that some git had flagged it as hazardous and that Strava doesn't show leader boards for hazardous segments:cursing:

Out of interest which one was that? I headed out and got a few personal bests around Lattice Barn end of town last night but the results show that my legs weren't pumping as hard as I thought they were!

mattobrien

Guru
It was the Colchester Road Sprint, starting at the Westerfield Road roundabout and going on to just before the Rushmere Road roundabout.

I guess roundabouts are too much for people to use their judgement as to whether or not it is safe to proceed on. Darwin and all that.

I'll tell you what was a hazardous segment today. It was the Tide Mill Way Climb in Woodbridge. I am currently joint KoM and half fancied a crack at getting there on my own. It's a fast and short segment (current KoM is 32.6mph), so a bit of a power blast is required. I had managed to ensure that there was no traffic in front that would hold me up and was winding up for the required effort, only to be greeted by two elderly folk deciding that it was safe to cross the road in front of me completely buggering up my attempt. To say I was unhappy was an understatement. Segment aborted, unhappy rider.

I do find it slightly ironic that on that segment other than suicidal pensioners, the main obstacle to a good time is getting held up behind a car.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Oh I totally know what you mean, I came so close to winning back the three island dash KOM but got held up by pesky cars :smile:

I'm still doing all this on a mid-70s touring bike with fat tyres, I'm itching to try some of these segments on a racing bike!

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from a Victorian Terrace house, red brick, 1882 build.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Tried it for the first time today - there is a 1km section of road that 35 strava users have rode on. On my first attempt im 2nd in the leaderbord.

Averaged 27mph apparantly.

Quick question...I did go as fast as I could, I found me legs held up fine what didn't was my ability to breath. Is that a common problem to have your legs outpace your lungs?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Tried it for the first time today - there is a 1km section of road that 35 strava users have rode on. On my first attempt im 2nd in the leaderbord.

Averaged 27mph apparantly.

Quick question...I did go as fast as I could, I found me legs held up fine what didn't was my ability to breath. Is that a common problem to have your legs outpace your lungs?

If you ride beyond your sustainable limit, yes.

It is called going anaerobic and can only be sustained for short periods. You were riding beyond your aerobic limit, hence going into oxygen debt, if you continue then your legs would say no very quickly. Either than or you were holding your breath, essentially the same thing will happen, except your legs will give out even faster.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
If you ride beyond your sustainable limit, yes.

It is called going anaerobic and can only be sustained for short periods. You were riding beyond your aerobic limit, hence going into oxygen debt, if you continue then your legs would say no very quickly. Either than or you were holding your breath, essentially the same thing will happen, except your legs will give out even faster.

I would estimate that I could have kept going at pace for another 0.5km, then I would have had too stop. As it was I was able to slow to my normal speed and recover. I was totally fine after 5 mins.

But on every ride iv done (outside of my commute - which is easy now) my ability to breath is always a struggle over leg power. I'll look up anaerobic limit and see what I can do to improve it (or any advice would be apresiated )

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Have you got a heart rate monitor? Good for knowing if you are pushing too hard. When I have my HRM on I will back off on a longer segment to a bit off my max hr It let's me keep the power going far longer with not much of a drop in speed and recover quicker.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Strava must be getting more popular round here. I had 10 KOMs barely a week ago, a couple with 30ish people on, now im down to 5 and a couple more I had my eye on have improved beyond my ability.

Top Bottom