Simon Cowell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
They do, the two bicycles in question aren't imaginary
Correct they are not imaginary, they are just not bicycles.........it’s got a throttle and a 60mph top speed and a 20,000 watt motor, that’s a motorcycle. End of

CXRAndy

Guru
The distinction is power and acceleration. Stretching the point to breaking, you could spend all day saying a motorcycle is derived from the cycle. But when a device can accelerate without any assistance at the pace of a sports-bike it no longer is a cycle.

I and others are talking of assistance to 20 mph with the current power levels, which is a constant 250W and peak of 750W. Having ridden bikes like this. I know they aren't demon acceleration devices

jowwy

Simon Cowell, the renowned cycling expert?
I think even Simon would know what he bought .........people on here pretend to be experts, but certainly aren’t

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Were did I say it was US wide.....I said in America

I've only ever seen you make reference to the US or America, I've never seen you refer to the laws of a particular state or states, which I'm sure you would have done had that been your intent.
And I don't believe that, until yesterday, you even realised that not all states had the favourable pedal assisted cut-off limit that California has.

don’t quote something I never said,

I didn't.

But just for reference it was Glasgow cyclist that tried to use the federal law in the US as being the only law on ebikes,

I didn't.

If you're going to wrongly accuse someone of misquoting you, you really shouldn't then misrepresent that person, it's rather hypocritical.
I have not claimed that the federal law I cited was the only law. In fact, you'll find that I subsequently informed you that each state is responsible for implementing its own road laws and even gave you examples of the different approaches.

Last edited by a moderator:

jowwy

Thanks for the Google screenshot. If you're pointing me towards the article on electricbikereport.com, I'd point out that the writer has not accurately reported the legal position of low speed electric bicycles in the US.

This is a direct quote from federal law which states:

"Low-speed electric bicycles
(a) Construction
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, low-speed electric bicycles are consumer products within the meaning of section 2052(a)(1) 1 of this title and shall be subject to the Commission regulations published at section 1500.18(a)(12) and part 1512 of title 16, Code of Federal Regulations.

(b) Definition
For the purpose of this section, the term "low-speed electric bicycle" means a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface,
when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph." (My bold)

This class of e-bike (in the US) may have a top speed of less than 20mph when powered by the electric motor alone. No pedalling input is required so this is an entirely different beast from the UK e-bike and therefor not really a valid comparison.
i have highlighted two things in this post that you made, that leads me to believe that you have stated this is the law on E Bikes within the US and at no point does it state that there are state exceptions to said law....

Drago

Legendary Member
I think even Simon would know what he bought .........people on here pretend to be experts, but certainly aren’t
I'm an internationally accredited expert level professional rider, so I am likely in a better position than most to decide who is an expert. You may be disappointed were you ever to hear my thoughts on that one.

jowwy

I'm an internationally accredited expert level professional rider, so I am likely in a better position than most to decide who is an expert. You may be disappointed were you ever to hear my thoughts on that one.
i'm never disappointed by peoples opinions that have no direct input on my life, especially an internet based profile type person, that i don't care about who have no feelings towards.....

this may disappoint you, but i don't really care....

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
i have highlighted two things in this post that you made, that leads me to believe that you have stated this is the law on E Bikes within the US and at no point does it state that there are state exceptions to said law....

You're conveniently ignoring the very next reply I gave you, in which I pointed out:

Yes, California is in America but it’s only one of 50 states, all with their own state laws on road vehicle use. Kentucky, for example, classes e-bikes as mopeds with riders needing motorcycle helmets. It’s one of a dozen states which require e-bike riders to have a driving licence too. And there are a dozen states which have no classification system at all for e-bikes!

Not only that, I had to educate you as to why pedals were required on an e-bike in California.

Top Bottom