Simple bike ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker man

I think it was President John F Kennedy who said nothing gives as much pleasure as a simple bicycle ride .So true for me how about you all.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just like the HG Wells quote below, only he didn’t actually say it, but he was a keen cyclist.
For my part it just makes happy.

I like a nice bike ride - don't really like hills - the 'sense of triumph' thing doesn't work for me on bikes which is one reason I got an ebike!

I would prefer walking up a decent mountain but asthma, knees and tendons generally don't agree anymore

or the feeling of a windsurfer and sailing dinghy catching the wind just right and rising onto the plane
in a nice warn sea - obviously - far too cold around here!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I just wish I could get the 'not killing myself' out of my system. Unfortunately, it's still programmed in from days as a club cyclist and time triallist. I find it impossible not to push hard. Yesterday's commute, off road along the canal, was still mainly above any ebike assist speed. The slow sections were just due to negotiating junctions and pedestrians.

Must try and slow down. :wacko:

I just wish I could get the 'not killing myself' out of my system. Unfortunately, it's still programmed in from days as a club cyclist and time triallist. I find it impossible not to push hard. Yesterday's commute, off road along the canal, was still mainly above any ebike assist speed. The slow sections were just due to negotiating junctions and pedestrians.

Yes its not easy trying to leave something in the tank, been failing miserably at that for 40 odd years so don't think it will change anytime soon ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes its not easy trying to leave something in the tank, been failing miserably at that for 40 odd years so don't think it will change anytime soon ^_^

It also doesn't help that the folk I ride with are just as bad. The only group that isn't is a local MTB group. Although I'm slowest down hill, but can kill most of them up hill. :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Funny it's the other way round with me. I went riding earlier in the year with a very fast friend who I rarely ride with - he lives the other side of the country. I put in a series of days (on a loaded bike) at speeds way above anything I can ever do normally, my Garmin was inundating me with "fastest ever 40k" messages. Now I'm back riding on my own I'm down to trundle speed again and even if I go out and deliberately try to get a shift on, the speed soon drifts down to trundle speed.

(Edit. Just noticed this is the ebikes forum. Apologies for butting in, but I guess we all enjoy riding our bikes)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Biker man

Funny it's the other way round with me. I went riding earlier in the year with a very fast friend who I rarely ride with - he lives the other side of the country. I put in a series of days (on a loaded bike) at speeds way above anything I can ever do normally, my Garmin was inundating me with "fastest ever 40k" messages. Now I'm back riding on my own I'm down to trundle speed again and even if I go out and deliberately try to get a shift on, the speed soon drifts down to trundle speed.

(Edit. Just noticed this is the ebikes forum. Apologies for butting in, but I guess we all enjoy riding our bikes)

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I've got a friend who likes to ride fast why I don't know I just like to enjoy the ride without killing myself another friend who has a ebike never gets it out of eco power says he wants the workout why he bought a ebike baffles me I guess we are all different.

carpiste

Guru

Don`t slow down! Never slow down for the sake of it... soon enough it will just happen naturally!

Don`t apologise for butting in! It`s a cycling forum... you still have to ride and use your legs on an e-bike. :bicycle:^_^

I was planning on getting an e-bike - but couldn't find one small enough for me at under 5ft. So I bought a Dahon folder with loads of adjustment ,and the idea that I could get a electric wheel conversion kit if I needed it.

Well, for the first time in my long life, I now live in what I call 'the flatlands' and to be honest, I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that an e-bike would be overkill. I like trundling along the towpaths and cycle paths round here, or getting the bus or train to the seaside and cycling along the traffic-free 'front'. I've even sorted out a pleasantly trundle-able route to the supermarket! If I lived where there were any hills of any consequence at all, I'd be wiring up my motor and charging my battery right this very minute, as trundling uphill is not in my life's plan at more than three-score years and ten - but the 'hills' round here are such that even my elderly legs - only one of which is in full working order! - can cope with them, whether on the bike or on my feet for a short push. So the e-bike conversion kit idea is being pushed further away ... I was thinking, initially, maybe for Christmas. Now I'm thinking, maybe next spring ... no hurry - and that's how I like my cycling now!

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I was planning on getting an e-bike - but couldn't find one small enough for me at under 5ft. So I bought a Dahon folder with loads of adjustment ,and the idea that I could get a electric wheel conversion kit if I needed it.

Well, for the first time in my long life, I now live in what I call 'the flatlands' and to be honest, I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that an e-bike would be overkill. I like trundling along the towpaths and cycle paths round here, or getting the bus or train to the seaside and cycling along the traffic-free 'front'. I've even sorted out a pleasantly trundle-able route to the supermarket! If I lived where there were any hills of any consequence at all, I'd be wiring up my motor and charging my battery right this very minute, as trundling uphill is not in my life's plan at more than three-score years and ten - but the 'hills' round here are such that even my elderly legs - only one of which is in full working order! - can cope with them, whether on the bike or on my feet for a short push. So the e-bike conversion kit idea is being pushed further away ... I was thinking, initially, maybe for Christmas. Now I'm thinking, maybe next spring ... no hurry - and that's how I like my cycling now!
I am the same age and plus I used to live on flatland but would still use a ebike you can ride farther and sweat free where I live now I certainly need a ebike one with plenty of strength.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Don`t slow down! Never slow down for the sake of it... soon enough it will just happen naturally!

Don`t apologise for butting in! It`s a cycling forum... you still have to ride and use your legs on an e-bike. :bicycle:^_^
If you can make it easier then all the better 🙂

Top Bottom