Single Chainring conversion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trevrev

Veteran
Hello fellow cycling friends.
I've just cleaned up my old Kona Dew Delux that's been hanging around in my shed.
Thought i'd lose the triple front chainring and go single. I never use the smaller rings. Makes sense. Looks tidier too.
Ok, Too simple. Moved the large 48 tooth ring to where the middle ring was. All lined up beautifully.
This is 9 speed by the way, 32/11 cassette. I put a chain guide where the front Mech was, just to stop the chain dropping.
Just hasn't worked. The chains not dropping lots, but once is enough. I'm putting the chain back on at least once on my trip to work and at least once on the way home.
I've just changed the rear Mech for a more rigid one. Still not worked.
Went to the Local bike shop, with the thought of getting a narrow / wide ring. Although max is 36 tooth, rather have the 48. They said it wouldn't work. Nor would a clutched rear mech.
I'm at a loss. Any advice would be grateful.
I know this is becoming a common conversion. Not sure why i'm having so many problems.
I hope that all makes sense.

Thanks.............. Trev.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What reasons did the LBS give for saying that your idea would not work?

It sounds sensible to me and is similar to what I plan for my mountain bike.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Moved the large 48 tooth ring to where the middle ring was. All lined up beautifully.
You've moved a front chainring which has teeth designed to enable the chain to slip on and off easily.

Get a chain ring that is designed for use without a FD - they have teeth which are all even (and taller) profile, no ramps/pins which facilitate the chain falling off (aka changing to a different ring). Doesn't have to be narrow/wide. With 9 speed you'll probably be ok with a chainring designed for 3/32 fixed/SS.

No doubt the staff in your LBS are too young to recall when derailleur equipped bikes had a 5 speed freewheel and a single chain ring?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
You've moved a front chainring which has teeth designed to enable the chain to slip on and off easily.

Get a chain ring that is designed for use without a FD - they have teeth which are all even (and taller) profile, no ramps/pins which facilitate the chain falling off (aka changing to a different ring). Doesn't have to be narrow/wide. With 9 speed you'll probably be ok with a chainring designed for 5/32 fixed/SS.

No doubt the staff in your LBS are too young to recall when derailleur equipped bikes had a 5 speed freewheel and a single chain ring?

That's a good point. Never thought off that. Thank you.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Most single ring set ups use "narrow wide" chainrings. Maybe you need to go that way? The rings are made to hold onto the chain more.

I used to think I could get my town bike to just stay 8 sp by using the middle ring of the triple it had nad not fitting the front derailleur. Self shifting made the ride "interesting" :biggrin:

[edit] Looks like @PpPete beat me to it :biggrin:[/edit]

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Most single ring set ups use "narrow wide" chainrings. Maybe you need to go that way? The rings are made to hold onto the chain more.

I used to think I could get my town bike to just stay 8 sp by using the middle ring of the triple it had nad not fitting the front derailleur. Self shifting made the ride "interesting" :biggrin:

[edit] Looks like @PpPete beat me to it :biggrin:[/edit][/QUOTE

Problem being, narrow / wide rings are 36t max. I need bigger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom