Single Chainring conversion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Looking at that link , they are 110 BCD. Mine is 104 BCD.
Sorry - didn't realise that.

Tim Hall

I don't see this "wide-narrow" problem. I run a triple on one of my bikes. When the chain is on the middle ring, it stays there. When it's on the big ring, it stays there. Small ring likewise. When I want it to shift , sure, it shifts.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
I don't see this "wide-narrow" problem. I run a triple on one of my bikes. When the chain is on the middle ring, it stays there. When it's on the big ring, it stays there. Small ring likewise. When I want it to shift , sure, it shifts.

The reason it stays there is because the front Mech acts as a guide.

Jody

Stubborn git
Not sure why they are saying a clutch mech won't work. I have one on a 3x10 and it works perfectly when battering the bike off road on rocky terrain. I would stick to a standard 46/48 front ring and stick a clutch mech on. If your riding on road or light off road you shouldn't have any problems.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The reason it stays there is because the front Mech acts as a guide.
I think the chain would/should stay on unless pushed off by a derailleur rather than falling off unless held on by one!

Well, unless riding at speed over rough surfaces.

So, given the state of British roads, a front mech/guide is probably a good idea then! :laugh:

Reactions: C R

Wilson jr

I have recently converted a compact double to 1X set up. Got the chairing from a company called wolftooth components. Quite pricey but good quality. Just shortened chain a few links. No problems so far. Mabey worth a look?

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
I have recently converted a compact double to 1X set up. Got the chairing from a company called wolftooth components. Quite pricey but good quality. Just shortened chain a few links. No problems so far. Mabey worth a look?

I've just managed to get hold of a 5 arm crank set. It's given me so many more options. Being 110 bcd , I'm now able to get a narrow / wide 48t chain ring. I thought converting to a single chainring would be such an easy thing to do. Still, you live and learn. hopefully, when I fit the new chainring, and still run the chain guide, my problems will be over.

Top Bottom