single chainring on MTBs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montroseloon

Was having a nosey about the inter web and noticed that single chainrings seem to be the way forward at the moment on a offroad bikes. Must make it hard to get up any sort of speed on a normal road and use a hell of a amount of effort

You need a wide range block on the back but it does simplify things a great deal, creates a bit more room on the bars for dropper post controls and reduces weight and the amount of things which can go wrong.

I would've have gone for one when I built my bike but the cost is still more than for a traditional triple. When the price drops a bit more, I might change as I do not use the inner or outer on the triple.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I've recently picked up a Whyte 901 which comes with a single 32t chainring. The block is 11-42 so you get a good range. As it is only really going to be used off road and at trails you have all the gearing you'll need. You wouldn't really buy one for road use.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
It is but one of many technical 'solutions' that are quite common but unlikely to ever become universal. They address certain problems, bring some simplicity, but also introduce problems and limitations of their own. Nothing inherently wrong with the idea, its simply a different approach to a specific application. It all comes down to a combination of intended use and personal preference as to whether it tugs your rug.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Must admit this is something i keep looking at and think the same as the op ie ideal on and around towns but hardly practical out in the countryside where the terrain is wide and varied

D

Deleted member 23692

The latest Sram 1x groupsets use a 10-50 cassette so you can run a larger chainwheels for top speedd without loosing bottom end. The comprimise is bigger steps between the gears.

I use a 11-42 with a 34 tooth oval chainring and it's OK for what.

Kajjal

Guru
I do longer xc rides on natural trails and find 2 x 10 works a lot better for me. More gears and a wider range so I can climb up walls and also go fast on the descents.

Top Bottom