Single Speed advice for rider with dodgy knees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
Thread resurrection time...!

I have recently started riding fixed gear but a mate said he had to give it up due to knee problems developing.

What is the risk area with fixed and knees, is it due to having a big gear when going up climbs and grinding or is it something to do with using your legs for braking which stresses the knees?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just don't leg brake, simple. You select a reasonable gear that you can get up most hills. You will grind a little, but it's no big issue on the knees. Leg braking isn't good for the knees.

If anything, fixed helps stregthen the tendons and muscles.

Broadside

Guru
Just don't leg brake, simple. You select a reasonable gear that you can get up most hills. You will grind a little, but it's no big issue on the knees. Leg braking isn't good for the knees.

If anything, fixed helps stregthen the tendons and muscles.

Thanks, that makes sense. I will give the leg braking a miss in that case. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You get a rollocking off the coach if you leg brake on a track session. You have to be careful doing it anyway as you can do some damage. Use the TWO brakes.

Broadside

Guru
Thanks, i didn't realise that about leg braking. I've been surprised how much I have to brake going down +5% gradients because I spin out around 28mph, well it's pretty uncomfortable after that speed. I will not be shy in using the brakes in that case.

One thing extra to consider - cleat angles. Obviously, this only applies if you are riding clipped in, but getting the "wrong" angle of your feet on the pedals puts excessive strain on all your joints, including knees.

I went to clipped about four months ago. I bought a set of pedals and shoes off a buddy (plus a second, identical pair of pedals from my local bike shop for my second bike) and just went for it. After just a couple of weeks both knees were aching quite a bit, but my right one (the one I have had a couple of bouts of surgery on) was really complaining, so much so that I ended cutting a few rides short on account of it.

I moaned to both my buddy and then the bike shop and both pointed to foot angles. We had a tinker and things are much better now :-)

Gearing will definitely play a big part, so will the terrain you cycle over. However, bike geometry, bike fit and overall ergonomics will also need consideration.

J

I ride single speed, I do around 20 to 30 mile rides 3 times a week when I'm home and steadily built up the hills. Today I did 21 miles and took in borwick road hill out of caperwray, steep winding short climb. Also cycle up the hill out of gressingham, Yealand Conyers, Warton Crag and such but took time to build up to these. I think unless your incredibly fit, competent cyclist a SS will have a limit for most. It's built my strength and fitness back up and I love it but a geared road bike or a CX bike and some events beckon this Autumn. Would I fancy SS with dodgy knees ? Probably not

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There seems to be a lot of alarmist stuff here about fixed. Whilst fixed might be physically harder on the hills, I don't believe, from experience, that it's harder on the actual joints, particularly given that it's not impact stress. It does take a while both to build the muscle and to hone the technique. You want a gear that's a bit lower than feels comfortable on the flat – you'll get used to it after a while. On single-speed you can go lower than on fixed because you don't have to worry about downhills.

Top Bottom