Single speed advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A member of the forum is selling this beauty.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/raleigh-501-fixed.270057/

A Salsa Stormchaser could be what you're looking for...

ormchaser-Single-Speed-Bike-BK8105-1920x1080px-uc1.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I keep looking at building a single speed using one of these https://spacycles.co.uk/m11b0s143p4602/SPA-CYCLES-Audax-mono

That's a very high quality frame indeed, and super value for money at the price.
Reynolds 725 is the heat-treated version of 525, which is a weldable modern equivalent to 531, but of cro-moly rather than mang-moly, chemistry.
Essentially 725 is the 21st century replacement for 753, which in the 1970's was generally considered to be the finest bicycle steel tubing money could buy.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That's a very high quality frame indeed, and super value for money at the price.
Reynolds 725 is the heat-treated version of 525, which is a weldable modern equivalent to 531, but of cro-moly rather than mang-moly, chemistry.
Essentially 725 is the 21st century replacement for 753, which in the 1970's was generally considered to be the finest bicycle steel tubing money could buy.

I have ridden a couple of 725 tubed bikes and they do ride rather nicely

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I keep looking at building a single speed using one of these https://spacycles.co.uk/m11b0s143p4602/SPA-CYCLES-Audax-mono
Skipdiver don’t encourage him , biggs has more than enough Bike’s already.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

12boy

Guru
Heres my 3 cents worth....
I am refurbishing a 92 Bianchi Nyala, Tange chromo and frame and forks are 10 pounds. Will take 2" tires easy, and it is stout.
I love my Surly Steamroller which at the moment has 35mm studded snows. If I could only have one bike it would be it or my Brompton. I can also run the Surly as an SA 3 speed so it's fairly adaptable. Easy to convert back and forth...a 15 minute job.
But, if elegance is your goal check out a Wabicycle Urban/Cross Thunder. 50 mm tires, Reynolds 725, level top tube, 20 lbs. I'm afraid if I tried one I would have a new favorite. $1025 in the US.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
A Salsa Stormchaser could be what you're looking for...

View attachment 565670
I like the versatility of "Alternator Flat Mount dropouts allow for single speed setups, or 1x drivetrains with a geared dropout plate". Back in the day having a bike that could be used with derailleurs or single speed single speed was the norm'. I still use my 30 year old Reynolds 531 frame that was my tour bike as 'Fixed' on a regular basis. That frame is so old that when I do a full service rust tumbles out of the BB, so I swapped most of the components onto a Van Nicholas Yukon and converted it to day ride fixie.
565804 565805

Last edited:
Top Bottom