Single speed advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A real shame that it appears to have be dropped, when my red fixie frame gives up I'd have bought one of those

Plenty of decent 531 or cro-moly steel frames around with horizontal dropouts. Pick up a cheapo donor/project bike in your size when a bargain pops up and put it aside until yours gives up the ghost, then build yourself another one.
I never buy bikes or bits when I really need them, always trawl for the giveaway bargains and unwanted freebies when I have the luxury of picking and choosing.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/genesis-flyer-vargn21250 I'm not sure a fixed needs discs, and it looks more Hybrid than road bike, but I'd have one.
To Clarify I was referring to the 2019 model not the 2020

566660 2020

566661 2019

Last edited:

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Plenty of decent 531 or cro-moly steel frames around with horizontal dropouts. Pick up a cheapo donor/project bike in your size when a bargain pops up and put it aside until yours gives up the ghost, then build yourself another one.
I never buy bikes or bits when I really need them, always trawl for the giveaway bargains and unwanted freebies when I have the luxury of picking and choosing.
I'm hoping mine will last a bit longer yet ;); didn't stop me working out if it would fit though :wacko:
567939 567938

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't buy the 2020 model anyway because it has discs. Manufacturers seem to want to force customers to have discs even if they don't want them. My response is simply to keep riding old-school lugged steel bikes and refuse to buy any of the modern ones.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
When the last of my old fixed-wheel frames broke, I splashed out for a Ti frame. Certain things I wanted, such as road drop-outs, were difficult to find on the standard offerings.
View attachment 566668
Back when I was running the CTC Shop (2001+) I was instrumental in the design of the Airborne Valkyrie Audax/ Van Nicholas Yukon; initially it had vertical dropouts.

During that time the demand for single speed bikes started to increase; I had been riding a fixed with traditional horizontal dropouts since I was a teenager, I confess this new trend made me smile as I am someone who is seldom seen as 'on trend' :laugh:. As this new demand gathered momentum it was not lost on me that my old store where I had been manager and frame designer had sold more of their single speed Pearson Touche model that could take mudguards than Specialized had sold of their single speed Langster model here in the UK; a model that could not take guards. Pearson had tailored their Touche for the UK market just as I had done with the Valkyrie Audax and Specialized hadn't.

To react to this new demand for a bike aimed at the UK market I promoted that the Van Nicholas Yukon converted to horizontal dropouts, that like my Pearson had the versatility that it be could be used with both a derailleur or a single speed set up; plus, having a horizontal dropout wheel removal with mudguards fitted was easier than it would be with a track drop out.
566702 My Pearson with horizontal dropouts and mudguard eyes
566703 Pearson Touche, track dropouts with mudguard eyes

566704 Specialized Langster, track dropouts no mudguard eyes

566700 Van Nicholas Yukon, with horizontal dropouts and mudguard eyes

566701 Close up of the horizontal dropout
566706 More popular vertical dropout.

After 'one model season' the horizontal dropouts and mudguard eyes model reverted back to the vertical dropout version. To be fair not enough were used as single speeds, the majority were still ridden set up with a derailleur and as such the general consensus was that those customers preferred vertical dropouts, especially when made of titanium as a cheaper QR skewer can struggle to secure the wheel enough to stop the wheel pulling over when under higher loads.

Totally understanbly that they did so, even though arguably Titanium bikes cater for the niche market, they still look at trends and numbers, the market for a versatile Titanium frame/bike set up that could be used as both a derailleur or a single speed set up simply was outweighed by the majority who didn't feel the need for a Titanium bike that offered that versatility

Attachments

• Yukon_Current_Dropout.jpg
    Yukon_Current_Dropout.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Back when I was running the CTC Shop (2001+) I was instrumental in the design of the Airborne Valkyrie Audax/ Van Nicholas Yukon; initially it had vertical dropouts.

During that time the demand for single speed bikes started to increase; I had been riding a fixed with traditional horizontal dropouts since I was a teenager, I confess this new trend made me smile as I am someone who is seldom seen as 'on trend' :laugh:. As this new demand gathered momentum it was not lost on me that my old store where I had been manager and frame designer had sold more of their single speed Pearson Touche model that could take mudguards than Specialized had sold of their single speed Langster model here in the UK; a model that could not take guards. Pearson had tailored their Touche for the UK market just as I had done with the Valkyrie Audax and Specialized hadn't.

To react to this new demand for a bike of bike aimed at the UK market I promoted that the Van Nicholas Yukon converted to horizontal dropouts, that like my Pearson had the versatility that it be could be used with both a derailleur or a single speed set up; plus, having a horizontal dropout wheel removal with mudguards fitted was easier than it would be with a track drop out.
View attachment 566702 My Pearson with horizontal dropouts and mudguard eyes
View attachment 566703 Pearson Touche, track dropouts with mudguard eyes

View attachment 566704 Specialized Langster, track dropouts no mudguard eyes

View attachment 566700 Van Nicholas Yukon, with horizontal dropouts and mudguard eyes

View attachment 566701 Close up of the horizontal dropout
View attachment 566706 More popular vertical dropout.

After 'one model season' the horizontal dropouts and mudguard eyes model reverted back to the vertical dropout version. To be fair not enough were used as single speeds, the majority were still ridden set up with a derailleur and as such the general consensus was that those customers preferred vertical dropouts, especially when made of titanium as a cheaper QR skewer can struggle to secure the wheel enough to stop the wheel pulling over when under higher loads.

Totally understanbly that they did so, even though arguably Titanium bikes cater for the niche market, they still look at trends and numbers, the market for a versatile Titanium frame/bike set up that could be used as both a derailleur or a single speed set up simply was outweighed by the majority who didn't feel the need for a Titanium bike that offered that versatility

I had a Touché, it was a cracking piece of kit.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
TBH, the market for Titanium frames is pretty niche regardless of what type of dropout is fitted. Personally I don't like the unpainted finish they are normally supplied in nor the fact that this openly advertises what they are made of so increases the risk of theft because the bike is obviously expensive.
What I object to in modern bike design, aside from the trend to ugly aesthetics, is the loss of versatility. In the steel era, most bikes, irrespective of price or quality, had horizontal dropouts and 1" quill stems. That meant that it was easy to reconfigure the bike to suit the rider, and put it back to standard again later if wanted. The same frame could run either a derailleur, a single speed. or even a SA 3-speed hub with just a wheel swap and some cabling changes. If a set of forks got damaged, or a nice set of 531 ones turned up, they were all interchangeable along with the headset bearings so long as the head tube length was compatible. A generic steel road frame could be the basis of pretty much any sort of machine you wanted to build, and anything short of an outright racing machine came with generous frame clearances so you weren't limited to skinny tyres and staying clean or reasonable width tyres and a wet muddy stripe up your back. You could actually have both! The manufacturers of bikes today seem to want to remove that choice of how the bike can be set up, so the bike is only suitable for one specific use and is not versatile. If you want to change the sort of riding you do, they expect you to buy a new bike.

12boy

Guru
Skipdiver John, that bike strategy is so sensible it doesn't make any money for the bike giants. Without getting folks to buy new bikes in a never ending quest for the latest, lightest how can they make money? I personally dislike sloping top tubes for no other reason than I find them ugly, although curved ones seem ok for some reason, a la the old Schwinn balloon tired bikes of yesteryear. Can you imagine if a person could get by with only one bike with multiple sets of wheels? I do appreciate that there have been genuine improvements in bike technology over the years, though.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
...Can you imagine if a person could get by with only one bike with multiple sets of wheels?...
Andy Wilkinson does just that. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/andy-wilkinsons-dolan-time-trial-bike-29431
The bike also doubles as his commuting and touring bike using a set of 700c cyclo cross rims shod with 30mm or 32mm touring or cyclo-cross tyres. The MTB type ’29er’ tyres can be fitted to the 700c CX rims too for those serious off road ventures.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Can you imagine if a person could get by with only one bike with multiple sets of wheels?

Back in the days when keen club riders would often ride the same bike to work that they went racing on at the weekend, it was not unusual for them to carry a set of lightweight racing wheels with them and swap before riding the race, then put their normal wheels back on again for the ride home.
We have the luxury of being able to pick up quality lightweight bikes relatively cheaply these days, which means wheel-swapping is not really necessary to save money.
It's funny though that the manufacturers still survived despite riders not replacing their bikes every five minutes, but then utility cycling was a mass participation activity. Nowadays the pool of people who ride for any purpose is much smaller than it was. The market is smaller so the manufacturers try every trick in the book to extract more sales revenue per cyclist.

Sharky

Guru
it was not unusual for them to carry a set of lightweight racing wheels with them
I used to do that. In my case, my racing wheels were not that much different. It was the tyres/tubs. It was common to ride out 20 miles to the start of a TT and you didn't want to use your 7oz tubs for the ride out. These were kept for the race itself as they were prone to punctures.

Also in those days, it was rare to have a HQ. We just rolled our clothing etc in a cape roll and left them with the wheels under a hedge. And when we got back - they were still there! Can you imagine that now?

Top Bottom