Single speed gear ratio question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kenton

Hi, just joined today and have a single speed gear ratio question?
We have a single speed bike with a 18 / 40 set up

But looking at a new bike with 16 / 44

Question is , which is easiest for up hill ?

andyfraser

Über Member
40x18 is 60 gear inches and 44x16 is 74.3 gear inches so 40x18 will be easier to get up a hill.

Sharky

Guru
"easier" also depends on the terrain.
If a gentle hill or a short hill, the higher gear will get you up in less revs than the tiny gear. Using the smaller gear you could be over rev'ing and that could be uncomfortable.
A single gear is a compromise for all the different gradients you can encounter and which gear is an individual choice. In the two combinations you have mentioned, for me, I would go somewhere in between, but it's your choice and fortunately, sprockets are quite cheap and easy to experiment with.

Good luck,

Keith

Last edited:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
44/16 will be at the higher end of what most ordinary people (i.e. non-professional athletes) would use for cycling on road

40/18 will feel very spinny for most people on road

If you want to ride on road, I'd start with 65-70 inches, then adjust up or down according to preference.

SSmatty

I'm running 44/16 on mine and its OK as long as I don't encounter any hills.
My route to work is fairly flat so I'm ok with it

Im building another and contemplating 48/17 ~(because the chainset I like comes in 46 or 48 teeth versions and I think 46/16 will be too much for me)

Sharky

Guru
Update.
It did hurt, but some interesting stats.

Slowest, going over a flyover bridge @ 12 mph, cadence 43 rpm
Maxed out at 30.2 mph, cadence about 108 rpm
Average for the 10 miles just a bit slower than 21mph or 76 rpm
Did some long stretches on the return at 26mph or 94rpm, which was reasonably comfortable. Slightly down hill, with side wind.

Don't have a cadence reader, but as fixed all the time, have used one of the online calculators.

Overall time still a bit slower than my age standard @ 28:36

But this gear (95") definitely not an everyday gear.
Cheers Keith

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Update.
It did hurt, but some interesting stats.

Slowest, going over a flyover bridge @ 12 mph, cadence 43 rpm
Maxed out at 30.2 mph, cadence about 108 rpm
Average for the 10 miles just a bit slower than 21mph or 76 rpm
Did some long stretches on the return at 26mph or 94rpm, which was reasonably comfortable. Slightly down hill, with side wind.

Don't have a cadence reader, but as fixed all the time, have used one of the online calculators.

Overall time still a bit slower than my age standard @ 28:36

But this gear (95") definitely not an everyday gear.
Cheers Keith
Number of hills? Gradient profile? Feet per mile? etc etc.

I suspect that gear would break most people on anything but very flat!

Sharky

Guru
It was on the Q10/24 - The Grain course in Kent. It's a typical English time trial course, No hills, but not pancake flat like some courses and no gift starts or finishes.
I'm not a Strava person, but the course should be on there. It's a popular course - we had 38 riders last night and was won with a 22:21.
Like I said above, a 95" gear is not an everyday gear, but is a time trial gear. The ones riding gears were probably using much bigger gears on the return.

44*17 is my "leisure" gear.

Cheers keith

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
44/16 will be at the higher end of what most ordinary people (i.e. non-professional athletes) would use for cycling on road

40/18 will feel very spinny for most people on road

If you want to ride on road, I'd start with 65-70 inches, then adjust up or down according to preference.

Agree with all this.

It's worth bearing in mind not just how easy it is to go uphill in a given gear, but also how easy it is to go downhill...

40/18 on a steep descent would be terrifying. How's your souplesse?

(At 40kmh, your cadence would be about 140rpm. At 50kmh, your cadence would be about 180rpm.)

SSmatty

If you just want to try something I would go for 2.5 - 2.75 as many teeth on your chainring than you have on the back.
eg 53/8 or 53/20, 39 /14, 39/15 or 39/16

biking_fox

Guru
Useful thread thanks!
I've just got a SS and had my first ride. Probably need to get a slightly bigger ratio, but not by much more - need to go and count the teeth and find out what I have at the moment!. Pics to follow of the shiney!

Top Bottom