Single speed to fixed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
New Chapel/Claypool Rd is a little more challenging on fixed, really enjoy flying down it when can freewheel - best avoided if there's a frost however.

There's a moment in this promo where a guy skids which is quite impressive. I guess it might be easy on a smaller gear and you must have to unweight the back wheel somehow. http://mashsf.com/cinelli_page/

It's all explained here, easy: http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_10.htm

I'm 44, too old and already got enough scars to be trying any of that (in case Mrs Ibbots is looking in). Just want to be able to avoid taking the nice anodising off my rear rim.

I expect I'd inadvertantly perform a full on face plant if I was to try anything like that for myself, "ambulance for smokeysmoo please!"

Plus the fact I'd get the inevitable earbashing from 'er indoors, "I wish you'd sell that bike, I knew this would happen", Which bike my love?", "All of them!" :evil:

I'm getting scarily close to 40 myself, so I have no desire to really to try it to be honest. I'm fully aware of how long it takes to recover when you get a little older. Broken ankle from my MTB days, and a broken elbow from a couple of years back spring to mind :ohmy: So I really have no desire to add a busted nose and broken jaw to my medical history!

Ride safe ;)

trio25

Über Member
Outside the traffic is the best way to do it, I usually get up without stopping and I'm not going kerbside which is so rough and the cars are so close.

I often ride into Manchester so do Crompton Way those days, that's a nicer road.

OH rides TMR everyday and does it so fast, suppose you get used to it, oh and gears and a freewheel helps.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Just had my first go, up & down the street.

Know what I thought? Remember in that old film Reach for the Sky when Douglas Bader first puts on his false legs?

He collapses in a heap and says "what am I supposed to do? It's bloody impossible!"

Bicycle

Persevere....

It starts to make sense in the end.

I have benefitted hugely from riding fixed.

I did 70 miles in the Welch borders on my geared road bike today and was frequently doing 95-105 rpm with stretches at 110+.

I never used to do that so much, and used to bounce terribly over 105.

The current smoothness is all down to riding fixed-gear.

Sod rose-tinted Douglas Bader biopics, persevere with fixed-gear....

OP
OP
I

Ibbots

Just had my first go, up & down the street.

Know what I thought? Remember in that old film Reach for the Sky when Douglas Bader first puts on his false legs?

He collapses in a heap and says "what am I supposed to do? It's bloody impossible!"

I had a bit of an advantage having done quite a lot of training at the velodrome in recent past so knew what to expect to some extent, 'though this does not prepare one for going dowhill fast. Got out out with the bigger gear this morning but still hitting over 140rpm on the descent and having to feather the brake. I still find it very unsettling, I'd better get the hang of it as I live at the top of a big hill and it's downhill for at least a mile in every direction unless I go across the moors.

I am finding it easier controlling the bike at lower speeds even after relatively few rides, almost intuitive, and I'm sure you'll get it with some practice - I've still not attempted a track stand in public yet!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For high cadence, lock out your ankles. Normal riding you'll flex the ankles as well to maintain a smooth pedalling action - at high speed lock these out and relax. It comes to you within a couple of weeks.

My average cadence is pretty high these days on road rides (Garmin data), although I'm still a grinder up hill. I average about 90.

OP
OP
I

Ibbots

For high cadence, lock out your ankles. Normal riding you'll flex the ankles as well to maintain a smooth pedalling action - at high speed lock these out and relax. It comes to you within a couple of weeks.

My average cadence is pretty high these days on road rides (Garmin data), although I'm still a grinder up hill. I average about 90.

I was fine with very high cadences on the track but that was always accelerating and sprinting. I have quite a flexy ankle action and that is what was feeling wrong, like my feet can't keep up when cruising along at high speed, so what you suggest makes a lot of sense. I'll give it a go, cheers.

Bunneh

If I hear someone come past me on Old Kiln Land, screaming, I'll know who it is :smile: Not tried fixed yet, bit daunted by it tbh.

Top Bottom