Single speed to fixed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spin City

Über Member
Good Luck Ibbots. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I bought my fixed wheel bike, a Genesis Skyline, from Harry Halls just over 3 years ago.
I've now done over 8000km (5000 miles) on it and I always enjoy riding it.

This weekend I did my longest ride on it which was approximately 210km (130 miles).

You'll soon be singing the praises of riding fixed.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I'm going to have a go soon, though I'm not sure it'll suit me. I absolutely love singlespeed, it just seems to be right for me. I can just go flat out, or fly up a hill then coast for a few yards to give my legs a rest.

Short blasts like this just suit me...

OP
OP
I

Ibbots

I'm going to have a go soon, though I'm not sure it'll suit me. I absolutely love singlespeed, it just seems to be right for me. I can just go flat out, or fly up a hill then coast for a few yards to give my legs a rest.

Short blasts like this just suit me...

Jury is still out. Have done a few commutes and 50 miles today. Not finding any difference in climbing, possibly a little quicker but that could just be new bike buzz. Slower in traffic, but enjoying learning to control the bike and think speed will pick up with experience. Descending is still a challenge - I put a cadence sensor on the other day, max 143rpm at 28mph. I am still having to use the brakes to control speed on descents where would just freewheel on singlespeed. What I am missing most from single speed is the sprint and glide at top speed.

I am going to persevere, even bought another frame to use the bits left over from pimping the Langster and built a faster nasty weather/winter commute lump.

My route to/from work has some very steep hills so It was very difficult to select a gear ratio suitable for going up the hills but not spinning too fast on the downhill, I had to compromise by just using the brakes heavily on the downhill wearing brake blocks out very fast plus most likley wheel rims. I later used single speed which made my ride to work much faster and easier. In my view stick with the single speed if you have steep downhills to cope with.

I live in Bolton and know that hill intimately! I commute down Tonge Moor Road and on my Langster Steel that gets quite hairy, (I'm a relative newbie to fixed riding), so C.O.Road would scare the living day lights out of me TBH.

I got the 2010 Langster Steel, as,
1) I think it looks better than the 2011
2), It has two brakes as standard, the 2011 has none!
3) It was a fantastic deal at Evans :smile:

Despite what die hard fixed guys might say, I have no intention of ever removing my back brake. I find I need to control my speed regularly, and as a larger rider I'm not convinced the front brake would cope well enough on it's own.

I swopped the 42T Zen Messenger crank for a 48T Sugino RD that I already had, and I fitted an 18T Halo track cog and a half link chain for preference.
I've also swopped the track bars out for a pair of bull horns as I just couldn't get comfy on the track bars.
I find it fine for my short daily commute, (really glad I don't live in Horwich though!), and I've even started to venture further afield at weekends instead of using my geared road bikes.

Fixed is a pretty steep learning curve, I keep telling myself to keep my legs spinning as it's too easy to forget and try to coast, not good! But I just love the whole connected feeling you get with riding fixed, and I find it so incredibly smooth as well.
Overall rating, 10/10, everyone should have to give it a go once in their lifetime :thumbsup:

trio25

Über Member
I regularly commute down Tonge Moor Road fixed as well, 2010 Alu langster. The corner near Matalan is the bit that scares me, I definetly need both brakes!

OP
OP
I

Ibbots

(really glad I don't live in Horwich though!)

That's a bit strong, anyway I live at the posh end!

Tried the alternative descent this morning (New Chapel Lane, down the side of The Jolly Crofters and out on Chorley New Road which is my preferred route into Bolton, avoiding all the parked cars, junctions and lights). Steeper with added speed humps and sharp turns - a little hairy and was braking hard all the way. I think it will be a while before I consider taking the back brake off. Otherwise learning that I hardly need the brakes, though comforting to know they are there.

I have bullhorns on both my fixed bikes, though I have cut off the curve at the end. Great position for commuting, low enough to get aero if I want and yet brakes always to hand, even when out of the saddle, and good visibility in traffic.

I regularly commute down Tonge Moor Road fixed as well, 2010 Alu langster. The corner near Matalan is the bit that scares me, I definetly need both brakes!
God I hate that corner! It's always full of general crud and detritis and pushes you farther into the carriageway than you really want to go, glad I run Schwalbe Durano+ or I think I'd have shares in an inner tube company :sad:
I'm sure it's an adverse camber too, so it gives me no confidence regardless of the weather conditions.

I actually hate that corner when I'm going home too, reason being the inconsiderate drivers who decide to drive in the gutter! It does actually turns me into a tarmac terroist on occasion, and I really don't like that tag, but at times it's either that, or use the pavement, or come to a standstill and then set off again, (not fun when you are running 48x18), or find myself under some dozy twonks wheels!

What time do you commute that stretch?

That's a bit strong, anyway I live at the posh end!

:tongue: Only joking Buddy.

I still think your brave/mad/both :tongue: Claypool Road is a hell of a descent isn't it?

I think it will be a lifetime before I take my back brake off. I don't know how these guys do the huge skids on their fixed bikes. Not that I want to, but when I try and just use my legs to stop from speed it's a very scary thing :eek:

I know the gearing makes a huge difference, and I guess 48 x 18's not ideal for leg braking, but I just can't see a time that I want to rely just my front brake, even if I develop calf muscles like Mr Universe!

OP
OP
I

Ibbots

I still think your brave/mad/both :tongue: Claypool Road is a hell of a descent isn't it?

I think it will be a lifetime before I take my back brake off. I don't know how these guys do the huge skids on their fixed bikes. Not that I want to, but when I try and just use my legs to stop from speed it's a very scary thing :eek:

I know the gearing makes a huge difference, and I guess 48 x 18's not ideal for leg braking, but I just can't see a time that I want to rely just my front brake, even if I develop calf muscles like Mr Universe!

New Chapel/Claypool Rd is a little more challenging on fixed, really enjoy flying down it when can freewheel - best avoided if there's a frost however.

There's a moment in this promo where a guy skids which is quite impressive. I guess it might be easy on a smaller gear and you must have to unweight the back wheel somehow. http://mashsf.com/cinelli_page/

It's all explained here, easy: http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_10.htm

I'm 44, too old and already got enough scars to be trying any of that (in case Mrs Ibbots is looking in). Just want to be able to avoid taking the nice anodising off my rear rim.

trio25

Über Member
God I hate that corner! It's always full of general crud and detritis and pushes you farther into the carriageway than you really want to go, glad I run Schwalbe Durano+ or I think I'd have shares in an inner tube company :sad:
I'm sure it's an adverse camber too, so it gives me no confidence regardless of the weather conditions.

I actually hate that corner when I'm going home too, reason being the inconsiderate drivers who decide to drive in the gutter! It does actually turns me into a tarmac terroist on occasion, and I really don't like that tag, but at times it's either that, or use the pavement, or come to a standstill and then set off again, (not fun when you are running 48x18), or find myself under some dozy twonks wheels!

What time do you commute that stretch?

When I commute depends on where I am going, varies week to week. So it could be 6:30am it could be 8am. I don't mind it so much on the way back as I just go up the right of all the traffic, its only when some idiot in a car is trying to do the same and has had to stop that is an issue. I find if I am coming up after 5pm it is better as traffic is on the whole stationary. Not rode it since the temporary traffic lights have been on though as I have two weeks off work at the moment.

It is definitely adverse camber, going down I am always on my brakes. Only way to do it is hold a good primary and spin the legs like crazy (I have 42:16 gearing).

When I commute depends on where I am going, varies week to week. So it could be 6:30am it could be 8am. I don't mind it so much on the way back as I just go up the right of all the traffic, its only when some idiot in a car is trying to do the same and has had to stop that is an issue. I find if I am coming up after 5pm it is better as traffic is on the whole stationary. Not rode it since the temporary traffic lights have been on though as I have two weeks off work at the moment.

It is definitely adverse camber, going down I am always on my brakes. Only way to do it is hold a good primary and spin the legs like crazy (I have 42:16 gearing).
The temporary lights are adding to the fun. At least the roads are much quieter this week with the kids off school.

I'm expecting to replace my blocks quite frequently with the amount of brake use I now have!

I've tried the whole outside of the traffic thing, but like you said, it only needs some idiot flying up the outside, and it's usually a Metro taxi!

Top Bottom