Single speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
This looks cool and price good but I don't think I want white and I suspect the 56cm too big

http://m.rutlandcycling.com/151830/...singlespeed-commuter-bike.aspx?mredirect=true

That said having ridden a slightly rolling route earlier not sure on SS

Brakes on fixed work fine, you just use them to help your legs slow the bike. Useful in the hilly terrain round here. My fixed/SS (flip flop) has front and rear brakes: -
2013-06-21%2B13.53.39.jpg
Only used to riding the track (Manchester velo) .. my track bike slowing is controlled in a different way
Just looks Strange with brakes attached ..Looks nice ..:smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Fixedgearfrenzy!!!, well you are in hipster territory now vickster. Three hundred reduced to just over two hundred, no detailed specs, the alarm bells should be ringing. Hell, these people are no better than Halfords, sorry these people are a lot worse than Halfords. They are probably also selling time shares in Spain. If you want one buy a proper one like the Charge Plug or whatever . You are always saying how much disposable income you have so why buy cheap? I know people say how uncomplicated and simple they are compared with geared bikes but how many would convert their car to a three speed non synchro box?

Have you bought a bike from them? Be interested to hear your experiences, they sell many brands

It's just a bit of cycling fun hence I don't need to spend much. As I said, I have no clue about such things, but they look cool...:smile:

Maybe I need to head over to hipster heaven in Hackney or Hoxton (or Shoreditch)

Standard Charge plugs look really dull!

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Strange to see a fixed speed with Brake callipers
Press the brake at speed and it will be buckaroo time ... I would of thought ...:sad:
Looks the part thought ..

No, that's complete rubbish. On the road you need brakes unless you are far braver / stupider than me. Front brake is a legal requirement, enforced by the laws of physics as much as the law of the land. Back brake is optional - as using your legs "counts" as a brake in law, but no tin reality - proper back brake is a bloody good idea.

No, that's complete rubbish. On the road you need brakes unless you are far braver / stupider than me. Front brake is a legal requirement, enforced by the laws of physics as much as the law of the land. Back brake is optional - as using your legs "counts" as a brake in law, but no tin reality - proper back brake is a bloody good idea.
I am Glad you think So !

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not planning on fixed, nor no brakes, so your point is?

I don't think I am a exactly a hooligan cyclist, I like the clean simplicity of some of these bikes and the lairy colours :biggrin:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Talk me out of it NOW :wacko: Much appreciated :thumbsup:
I'm sorry, I can't do that, riding fixed is the most enjoyable thing I have done on two wheels! I know you are looking at SS rather than fixed, just get on with it!

Someone on here bought one of those rutland fixies and said it was a good buy for the price, I can't remember who it was though.

Yes, I did and I'm really enjoying it. But if you're going that cheap and/or buying online, then you MUST strip it down completely and re-build before riding as I guarantee no time/money will have been put into building it up safely.

Good luck, vickster, whatever you decide.

P.S. How'd Paula get on with the orange Puch I sold her a few years ago?

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers Rebecca. SS with my dodgy knee/leg/back may not be the wisest until I get fitter, and there's no more room in my lounge...so sense has prevailed (for now, maybe I'll get my finances in order and then chat to Pearsons ;) )

I don't think Paula really caught the cycling bug unfortunately, although she still has the orange Puch. I think she found braking quite hairy on it too!!

Top Bottom