Sister wants a hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
These weights the sellers quote...are they all for complete bikes, and of the frame same size?

Julia9054

Guru
Looks smart in 'satin pewter'.

Would a lowest gear of 34/34 be low enough to encourage a new cyclist?

I recall when I returned to cycling on a Brompton in about 2010 I could barely propel the thing out of the back lane.
Mine was a fashion victim impulse buy cos the bike looked so damned good! Never had any problem getting it out of Knaresborough up the hill though.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
out of Knaresborough up the hill though.

I'd have been pushing, probably still would be.

A bottom gear of 34/34 is fairly low, although I had to resort to the granny ring on my mountain bike on quite modest inclines.

Not a huge difference - 26/34 from memory.

My suggestion to the OP's sister would be to get something with a mountain triple, or a double up front with one of the newish wide range cassettes at the back.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Why do people always think that if your commuting on it you need racks and guards...........does my nut in

bpsmith

Veteran
Why do people always think that if your commuting on it you need racks and guards...........does my nut in
I agree. Some people need racks, most don’t. Mudguards? Well that’s just choice tbh. Not for me though personally.

vickster

Legendary Member
A sweaty back is unpleasant. And rucksacks are uncomfortable when you have a dodgy shoulder and back. Both are avoidable with a rack

And road muck all over your back and arse is not very attractive, especially when turning up at many workplaces. Means less washing too. Mudguards also help to keep the worst of the muck off your bike.

You might want to check the meaning of the word 'might' if you're referring to my post :smile:

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It might be OK for occasional or fair weather commuters to manage without mudguards, but anyone who commutes regularly in all weathers will tell you, the novelty of arriving at your destination dripping wet through soon wears off and the desire to prove how 'hard' you are soon succumbs to the reality of the situation.
As for rack or backpack, it is a personal choice, but I prefer not to carry tools, pump & tube on my back, as well as all the other junk that regularly joins me for the trip to work (Trousers, shirts, towels, undies, lunch, milk, boxes of cereals, etc).

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
So mudguards stop your body getting wet in the rain...........some one needs to show me these new fandangled all over body guards. If its raining your getting wet, mudguards or not.

As for racks......you can post mounted bags, bar bags all easily removed rather than full fugly metal ones strapped to the back. Or you could put your tools in your jersey/jacket pockets, then no need for suck fugly monsters to adorn your beloved machine.

How wonder how the carbon commuters cope without racks and guards :okay:

Top Bottom