Six Nations Rugby 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I didn't see the match out here but from what I've read Wales seemed to taper down after an explosive start. As Warburton has reportedly said the rest of the 6 Nations matches are all "must win" for Wales. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

david k

Hi
I'll only watch if there is a rugby league convert to watch

You're right. They're too fit now so there's no space. Reduce the number of players is the only way
Fitness is key, but so is the mental attitude that accompanies less time, smaller spaces, smarter coaching. If anything, the game is becoming a bit of a play school version of American Football...particularly with the sometimes ridiculous TMO touch judge, referee interactions. (Which, in principle, I agree with - thank you, Rugby League)
Yesterday's match, where seasoned Lions - the likes of Roberts, Davis, North, Wyn-Jones etc were outwitted and relentlessly pressurised by their young opponents, shows a different game developing...apart from the physical grinding that the Welsh front row endured...a valuable sign of byegone days, and useful ammo for beer talk. :smile:

Rugby League is a brilliant game by the way..!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Unfortunately it's how I feel league has gone over the last few decades as the drive for open flowing rugby has removed more and more of the power and skill elements other than ball handling. I say this as someone who has followed both codes for many years, and like them both.

The 40:20 rule was a good attempt to get better tactical kicking back into RL, but the surety of getting the ball back from tackles means that far too often it's just a case of ploughing up the middle for the first 3 or 4 tackles (and far too often then flopping around like a fish - it doesn't fool anyone including the ref). This does a disservice to the great players who are real talented athletes and can do so much more.

RU can get very formulaic if it's played badly. Kicking ping-pong being a prime example, but as there are so many different elements to the game then there's more formulas to choose from if you like. For example look at the way the two sides played the line out yesterday. England had a bigger pack, and based most of their work around catching and driving. Wales OTOH were passing straight off the top and throwing it out to the backs who are their strength.

Also look at Wales' try. Quick thinking from a man in a team being shoved backwards at a rate of knots meant he was running into lots of space.

david k

Hi
Unfortunately it's how I feel league has gone over the last few decades as the drive for open flowing rugby has removed more and more of the power and skill elements other than ball handling.

The 40:20 rule was a good attempt to get better tactical kicking back into RL, but the surety of getting the ball back from tackles means that far too often it's just a case of ploughing up the middle for the first 3 or 4 tackles (and far too often then flopping around like a fish - it doesn't fool anyone including the ref). This does a disservice to the great players who are real talented athletes and can do so much more..

When summer rugby first started they went to a 10 metre rule and you had to role of the play of the ball. This led to fast athletic players who were super fit, great at first but it became a bit like tick and pass. The Aussies then allowed lying on at the play of the ball a little longer if the tackler was dominant at the play of the ball, this with extra subs meant the power players came back into the game

League can be five drives and a kick in the first 20 mins but then tends to open up particularly when behind as you have to force the play

I think the balance is much better now

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
@GrumpyGregry
Can our resident ref remind me when a no 8 can pick the ball up in a scrum?
From what i saw the welsh 8 picked the ball up from in front of the rapidly retreating 2nd rows legs, that cant be legal can it? That would be handling in the scrum in my opinion.

Wafer

Veteran
A lot of elite sport at the highest level ends up being down to who makes fewest mistakes. For the Wales try Haskell should've made his tackle and May shouldn't of come in. Much like for Joseph's try the Welsh should've made their tackles, and in both cases it wouldn't of been a try. You end up banging away either trying to force or wait for the mistake.
I think a lot of sports would be more entertaining to watch if they were a little less professional. I still really enjoy Rugby Union though and find Rugby League really boring.... last night wasn't the best game ever, but it was exciting enough and I'm never going to complain at a win over the Welsh :smile:

Top Bottom