Six Nations Rugby 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Yup.

Do you not watch much rugby?

Only the occasional Scotland game and the opposition seem to win the ball in the tackle in those games no problem right enough.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Pic of the anthems ceremony at the Scotland v France women today, with a cycling connection thrown in
B9PkNVmIEAAX8Oy.jpg

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
North shoulda been off.

Statement issued today by World Rugby
"World Rugby has requested a full report from the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) following an apparent head impact sustained by Wales wing George North in the second half of Friday night’s RBS 6 Nations match between Wales and England at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.

North, who sustained the impact in the 61st minute of the match remained on the field and, having undertaken an initial review of the broadcast footage, World Rugby is seeking to establish from the WRU whether all concussion management protocols were appropriately followed.

Concussion management and education is at the heart of World Rugby’s player welfare strategy designed to protect players at all levels of the game and promote the very highest standards of education, coaching and medical care. #RecogniseAndRemove"

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
@GrumpyGregry
Can our resident ref remind me when a no 8 can pick the ball up in a scrum?
From what i saw the welsh 8 picked the ball up from in front of the rapidly retreating 2nd rows legs, that cant be legal can it? That would be handling in the scrum in my opinion.
Resident retired-ref (though i may yet be coaxed out of retirement as it happens)

what Laws apply?

6.A.4 (a) The referee is the sole judge of fact and of Law during a match. - which is pretty much what Brian Moore said "He didn't give it" but the match is now over so we can debate it.

The Laws say a scrum ends, amongst other things, when:-
20.10 (c)
Hindmost player unbinds. The hindmost player in a scrum is the player whose feet are nearest the team’s own goal line. If the hindmost player unbinds from the scrum with the ball at that player’s feet and picks up the ball, the scrum ends.

and as to the 8 binding it says in

20.3 (f)
Binding by all other players. All players in a scrum, other than front-row players, must bind on a lock’s body with at least one arm prior to the scrum engagement. The locks must bind with the props in front of them. No other player other than a prop may hold an opponent.

Binding is defined as one full arm, not a hand or fingertips.

and then
20.9 (b)
All players: Handling in the scrum. Players must not handle the ball in the scrum or pick it up with their legs.

My view: (which I screamed at the TV at the time and no amount of replays has made me change my mind. I think the 8 unbound before the ball was at his feet whilst the scrum was still going on (ping!). I think he then handled the ball whilst it was still in the scrum (ping!)

So two penalty offences. Two glaring, obvious penalty offences. Were they material offences? - which is the standard at that level - I'd have to say yes but my view of materiality is not that of an elite referee. So, in my view, in Sussex One, if I saw exactly the same situation and I was in the middle I'd ping it. A no-brainer. But then I'd have pinged nearly every scrum feed y'day, and would have taken much more drastic action over the crooked line-out throws.

As to the ref; I think he missed a lot and was over reliant, and worse still, obviously over reliant on his assistant referees, all match.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It might well have been but to comment on it now would risk appearing to be being ungenerous in victory.
A referee has no nationality or favourite. A referee doesn't care about the result. Or generosity in victory. A referee cares about the Laws of the Game and how they are applied. So to discuss a point of Law is not ungenerous ;)

especially when England kick Welsh arse in Wales!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Statement issued today by World Rugby
"World Rugby has requested a full report from the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) following an apparent head impact sustained by Wales wing George North in the second half of Friday night’s RBS 6 Nations match between Wales and England at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.

North, who sustained the impact in the 61st minute of the match remained on the field and, having undertaken an initial review of the broadcast footage, World Rugby is seeking to establish from the WRU whether all concussion management protocols were appropriately followed.

Concussion management and education is at the heart of World Rugby’s player welfare strategy designed to protect players at all levels of the game and promote the very highest standards of education, coaching and medical care. #RecogniseAndRemove"
Good. from the TV coverage it was easy to form the view that he should not have been on the park after hitting the ground like a sack of spuds.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm not sure where that leaves Alain Rolland.
Still retired?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Also look at Wales' try. Quick thinking from a man in a team being shoved backwards at a rate of knots meant he was running into lots of space.
Slow thinking from the referee not to spot the illegality of the quick thinker's actions thobut ;)

Top Bottom