sizing question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

I'm 5'9' but I have the shortest legs in the world (30 inches). I currently have a 50cm road bike which height wise is okay with the saddle right up, but it feels quite squashed on a long ride.

My question is on the delicate area of stand over height. On 52 or 53cm road bikes if I stand over the frame in normal shoes then my gentlemans area is in close proximity to the cross bar (sometimes touching). But in my 5 years of road cycling I've never actually had cause to stand over the frame with both feet unclipped from the pedals.

So is it necessary to have stand over clearence with both feet planted on the deck or am I risking my fertility with a bigger frame.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Depends on the frame, if its a sloping top tube you have a lot of clearance whereas on a more traditional level top tube your goodies with be very close .
I would have said a 50 frame is to small and a frame size you tried is more in the ball park for the right size.
I am 5 foot 7 and ride 52/53 frames and i have just got a 54 which i can ride with an 80 mm stem.
It all depends on whether you want a new bike or to modify what you have as a longer stem might help your cramped position.

Top Bottom