Skate vs Cycle Helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This question has probably been asked before. I have a Bell skateboard helmet but it says it's CPSC Bicycle Safety Standard Certified.

I'm planning to start commuting to and from work and tbh I'm a little terrified. I do cycle a lot in Fife but it's a lot quieter there than the traffic in Glasgow! lol.

I've had a head injury before at the back of my head and for that reason I like the idea of wearing a skateboard helmet as I feel it provides more protection for this area. However, on a bike I'm far more likely to hit the front if I do indeed come off the bike.

I dunno if this has been debated before but if anyone could give me a quick sum up of Skate vs cycle helmets that'd be great in helping me decide whether I should fork out on a new proper bike helmet or if I should stick with my skate helmet. I'm struggling to find any decent information online about it.

I'm hoping on this forum I can avoid the "If you've had a head injury don't ride!" stuff everyone else gives me! lol

P.S. I messed up on the title for this thread! I meant SKATE vs Bicycle Helmets! I'm dyslexic and spent ages fixing this part of the message but missed the title! Sorry!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Probably won't make any difference, cycle helmets offer very little protection either way, try cyclehelmets.org for more information. If you are worried about cycling in traffic, read a copy of Cyclecraft there is a lot of useful advice on techniques for riding in traffic. Also check out if there are any training courses in you area, cycle commuting courses are slowly become more common. It is far better to avoid getting hit than hoping that a scrap of polystyrene will somehow save you.

To answer your question......

There are suggestions form some researchers that the vents and "snag points" on modern bicycle helmets can cause rotation injury and also cause the helmet to be removed from the head nulling it's potential.

The "Rounder. Smoother, Safer" campaign would sum up your quandary as the skate helmet is exactly this. If the helmet is certified and in good condition then why not use it and see how you get on...... then invest in a new helmet if you wish to later.

rounder4.gif

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You could get in touch with Bell and ask them the questions. you'll be rather warm cycling in a skate helmet but if you've got a pre-existing injury to protect then do whatever feels safest and best for you.

helmets provoke a lot of debate, but at the end of the day it's your head and how safe the different options make you feel only you know. the best advice is to ignore advice and go with your gut feeling.

and good on you for keeping riding and ignoring the naysayers.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Skate helmets are, by and large, designed with the same techniques and constructed to meet the same standards as cycle helmets. If it makes you happier, stick with the one you've got

That said, the only time I've hit the back of my head (in a skating accident ...) I was wearing a cycle helmet which crushed in the Approved Fashion, so if you do end up getting a bike helmet for reasons of better ventilation or whatever, chances are it'll be pretty much as good anyway.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Little_McKay said:
I messed up on the title for this thread! I meant SKATE vs Bicycle Helmets! I'm dyslexic and spent ages fixing this part of the message but missed the title! Sorry!

Fixed it for you :biggrin:

OP
OP
L

Little_McKay

Regular
Thanks for all the advice guys! Looks like I'll just stick with my skate helmet now as it seems the only advantage to a normal bike style helmet is ventilation and while that's a good thing, maybe protection should be higher up my list. And thanks to TheDoctor for fixing my dumbass mistake! ;)

WeeE

Some advice from a Glaswegian. First, I'm a non-driver, never learned. I'm a newbie-scaredy-cautious type (hopefully drivers think so too) but don't wear a helmet myself: no advice to give on it one way or another - I think this is a very personal decision.

But advice on safety - apart from lights, visibility etc, the best thing you could do is buy Cycle Craft.

I bought Cycle Craft because my experience of traffic was nil - and I've found it really fantastic; advice about different safe ways to go round different types of roundabouts, whereabouts to be in the lane in different circumstances, awareness of driver behaviour/favourite homicidal gaffes. It makes me less scared and more appropriately aware (knowing what to do; knowing what others might do; knowing that I don't know something.)

The best thing it has done for me is to remove uncertainty - when I'm out and about, I see a new (to me) road feature, some place where I've never been before: it looks confusing or scary; I go home and read up on it, and the next time I go ahead (instead of getting off and walking!) knowing what I should be doing and what characteristic mistakes drivers might make there. It also makes me aware of my own mistakes, and confident of being able to do it better next time.

I still haven't got the nerve to cycle around right in the city centre, though, except by taking the riverside off-road path along the river to the pedestrian precinct, where I park. (Still need a lot of time to process ufamiliar road traffic signs, figuring out who has priority etc.)

The great thing is that there are much-less-used minor roads parallelling loads of the major routes in Glasgow, actually shorter a lot of the time; you can get around fine while you're familiarising yourself with the scarier roads.

Next year the "bridge to nowhere" should be finished, part of an actual joined-up off-road cycle route, apparently. Most cycle lanes here at the moment are crap, if not downright hazardous.

OP
OP
L

Little_McKay

Regular
WeeE said:
I still haven't got the nerve to cycle around right in the city centre, though, except by taking the riverside off-road path along the river to the pedestrian precinct, where I park. (Still need a lot of time to process ufamiliar road traffic signs, figuring out who has priority etc.)

Someone else told me about that off-road path! That's going to be in my next commute - I'm assuming it's easy to find! I'm supposed to take that along river to a footpath and then onto Argyle St > Dumbarton Road. Wish me luck! lol

Next year the "bridge to nowhere" should be finished, part of an actual joined-up off-road cycle route, apparently. Most cycle lanes here at the moment are crap, if not downright hazardous.
That sounds interesting! Didn't know anything about that, will need to look into it :smile:.

As for Cycle Craft, a few have mentioned that to me and I may actually look into getting that. I do commute a lot in Fife but it's always handy to have something to turn to if you get confused. Also, Fife vs. Glasgow - it's quite a stark difference! lol.

EDIT: Never mind - just bought it there! :smile:

Top Bottom