Skinny or fat tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
The problem I have is that I can't get the wider 28mm tyres out of the 531c Road bike frame without letting the air out of the tyres, even with the QR on the brake released...........
I have to ask - why do you need to take them out when you haven't got a puncture?

Ajax Bay

Guru
why do you need to take them out when you haven't got a puncture?
To clean them or the mudguards (under side)?
To service the bearings?
To change the cassette?
My solution to this is, after a puncture and repair (or one of the above circumstances), is to reinstall the wheel before inflating the tyre. (NB: Just be sure after a bit of pressure that the bead is sitting in the right place, all the way round, both sides.)

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
To clean them or the mudguards (under side)?
To service the bearings?
To change the cassette?
My solution to this is, after a puncture and repair (or one of the above circumstances), is to reinstall the wheel before inflating the tyre. (NB: Just be sure after a bit of pressure that the bead is sitting in the right place, all the way round, both sides.)
You do most of those things at home, where it's easy to deflate and reinflate the tyres. And whenever I've needed to clean under the mudguards when I'm out on the road, I've always had something pointy in my bag which is adequate for the task and have not needed to remove the wheel.

gilespargiter

Veteran
I have to say that I have chucked QR. brake levers off bikes a few times now. I really do not like them. I have had them catch in things a couple of times in the past and also tampered with.
What is the problem with letting a tyre down to release it anyway? It's pretty quick if you have a decent pump.

In the past a popular method to release a pumped tyre, that quite a few used was to just loosen one of the brake blocks.

GuyBoden

Guru
I have to ask - why do you need to take them out when you haven't got a puncture?

As stated by @Ajax Bay, mud gets stuck inside the mudguard when riding on very muddy country lanes, especially in the winter, so letting the air out of the tyre to remove the wheel, then remove the mud and then having to pump the tyre with air again isn't helpful on a cold winter's day.

If you change to "Fat tyres" they have less gap between the mudguard and the tyre, so are more inclined to trap mud, maybe bigger mudguards is a solution or more adjustment in the mudguards.

Top Bottom