skipping breakfast...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I think I read somewhere (maybe Cycling mag) that you can train your body to use up last night's carbohydrate reserves [from evening meal] by skipping breakfast in the morning before cycling to work. Anyone agree with this? Anyone go without breakfast and how long is your commute?

jimboalee

It is dependant upon the individual and the intensity and duration of the ride.

For a ride across town - 8 miles in 50 minutes, this can be done before breakfast.

Note: For cyclists aiming to lose fat, a HIGH protien breakfast is recommended.

User3143 said:
Cycling or doing any exercise before you eat in the morning is the best way to lose weight because as you say you are using up fat straight away because you have not eaten. Your metabolic rate will also increase with exercise so even when you stop and have something to eat you will burn calories at a faster rate.

Never go without breakfast though. The trouble is that you may have a mini bonk and gorge yourself on non complex carbs e.g sugar, chocolate, cake and end up filling like shoot after a couple of hours when you are coming down.

Are you sure you are a lorry driver Lee ?

grhm

Veteran
There was an article about using commuting as training in CTC's "Cycle" mag a issue or two ago. It mentioned a "deplete-repeat" technique (IIRC) that was to do with not having breakfast before the commute (i think they still recommmended having brekkie on arrival)

I've also seen an article, on Bike Radar or similar entitled "Train like a caveman" (or summat like that, i forget and can't find a link at the mo). That also refered to training sans food in order to get some benefit or other (vague ain't I :smile:). I think it has a cavemans ability to hunt on a empty stomach that was the reason for the title.

ASC1951

Guru
Important point - delaying breakfast only works if you exercise before it and then eat, as lee says. If you just skip breakfast and drive to work, you will just dive into the refined carbohydrate at midday. In fact there was some research on the Beeb last week making exactly this point.

Standard secretary breakfast at our place used to be half a pint of black coffee and a cigarette, in the misguided belief that it was a slimming regime. No.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I can't do without breakfast. Porridge. Made with water. Coffee. Piece of fruit. ;)

My policy is that if you eat proper food (bread cerial spuds bit of meat lots of fruit and veg) in a nice big meal, you will not be tempted to buy sugar and fat laden pre packaged stuff.
Three healthy meals, just fruit in between if I am peckish and you are sorted.

If you want to lose weight just avoid fat sugar and booze. After that it is fairly difficult to even get up to the recommended calories each day.

Breedon

Legendary Member
I might try a early morrning ride on sunday and not have breakfast to see how i feel, i'll do a 25mile loop, then have breakfast when i get back in.

I want to lose weight as well so all this makes good reading.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I haven't got my diet fully sorted yet, still experimenting with different stuff at different times. But I don't eat before my 20 mile commute and my sig line shows that it's helping.

I do want to work out what's best to eat when I get to work. I have plenty of facilities so can, within reason, make what I want. Currently I'm eating a bowl of muesli, an apple and a banana. But this is still leaving me craving the wrong stuff at lunchtime. My original weight should be testament as to how well I resist these cravings:biggrin:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Just got back from my 11 day German cycle tour where I was eating whopping breakfasts, cake, big evening meals (Schnitzel, pizza) and then having 100g of chocolate for dessert. Healthy, me.

Anyway, I lost 2kg-ish. Which I could tell before I stepped on the scales as my trousers were loose.

I think the main reason to account for this was that I had whopping breakfasts and consequently didn't snack at all during the day on rubbish like biscuits (which I often do at home). I felt full up until lunch, at which point I usually only had soup or something light. I know people say that eating a good brekkie is good for diet but I'd never really experienced this before - and it wasn't as if my mileage was vastly more than normal. I tend to do 33 miles per day - on the tour I was doing 40-70 so more, but not loads more.

Jim_Noir

MacB, the old 'nanas are bad juju for weight loss. From the sounds of it your body is carb junkie and sugar is a trigger. Ditch high sugar fruits, get loads of oats in you... like oat ginger biscuits and oat cakes (oat cakes with tomato puree on them are a great energy source and a great way to naturally block the sun). Look at low GI stuff, don't diet as diets don't work... listen to what your body is telling. protein shakes are your friend in the fat war. However your body will be different from mine, and others so find stuff that work. If you can, get a one 2 one with a nutrationalist. My fight coach is really into sports science and nutrition so I get tons of advice that works 100% for me.

Top Bottom