Skipton or Otley?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
My Mum (82) is rattling around in a big detached house and when her dog goes (will be months) is looking to down size. Like everybody else in this area she wants to go to Skipton, but everybody else has their names and requirements at every estate agent in Skipton...............I am beginning to think Otley might be better, I cycle through both umpteen times a year and prefer Otley, it's not so twee, tourists are fewer, it's got more going on daily. But.....no station and she is keen on giving up driving.

Any local advice?

classic33

Leg End Member
There is a bus link to the nearest station.

alicat

Legendary Member
Which is easier for you to get to? Which has better hospitals/GP surgeries/things going on for OAPs? Things like that will be the factors that make her life more pleasant in the long run.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd agree that the only real downside to Otley is the lack of a station - and by the time you've caught the link bus to Guiseley and then caught the train to Leeds, you might as well have just got the direct X84/X85 bus instead.

Both towns seem to have plenty going on, sufficient local services and they both have excellent pork pie shops.
Otley has a Waitrose though, which could swing the decision..? ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd agree that the only real downside to Otley is the lack of a station - and by the time you've caught the link bus to Guiseley and then caught the train to Leeds, you might as well have just got the direct X84/X85 bus instead.

Both towns seem to have plenty going on, sufficient local services and they both have excellent pork pie shops.
Otley has a Waitrose though, which could swing the decision..? ^_^
It's not much of a one though.

vickster

Legendary Member
Harrogate is over-rated, over-priced and now a tourist town.
It's a proper sized town though, depends what you want

I was actually thinking of buying a place in Skipton, lovely place, but certainly touristy and full of old folk downsizing :whistle:

The point above about facilities, especially medical, is a very important one, possibly the most so

What about Ilkley? Lots of shops and facilities including a train station. Could be a bit more pricey though.

Julia9054

Guru
Harrogate :okay: or Knaresborough
I live in Knaresborough. Everything is within walking distance and there is a train station. Downside to both here - and to Harrogate - is lots of shops and restaurants closing down. I rarely go to Harrogate now preferring to bypass it for Leeds or York if I need to do some shopping.

Venod

Eh up
Another bloody Yorkshire thread!:headshake: :thumbsdown: How much more can we take?! :dry:

Its a harder choice than Accrington/Lytham St Annes though, it would be Skipton for me just because I am more familiar with it, but it depends on a lot of things as already mentioned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom