SKS commuter mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jessand

Veteran
Hi All
I'm fitting new mudguards as my standard sks/Bluemels front guard has broken at the bottom fixing bracket. Although I have eyes on the front dropouts I cant use them because the axle bolts on my electric front wheel don't leave enough room to get the mudguard bolts in. I bought some good P clips and am wandering whether the commuter version SKS guards would be a better fit as the have a single double rail fixing. Anyone used these? The P clips being 30mm or so above the dropouts I'm thinking it may be difficult to get the usual SKS to fit well. Any suggestions for fitting the bolts at the higher level would be much appreciated. Thanks

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What about SKS raceblades using the rubber mounting strap on the fork ?

Can you make an extension bracket to your dropout eyelets rather than use clamps. Bolt from the inside? Post photo of problem area.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would look again at getting bolts into the existing eyelets - what exactly stops you getting them in - can you post a photo?

OP
OP
J

jessand

Veteran
Please find pics. The bolt will not go behind the bolt, I think the close up illustrates the problem best. I may be able to get a flat head bolt in to attach a bracket with another fixing hole. Don't fprget there needs to be room for the secu clip too. Thanks for looking.

muguard bolt.jpg

bolt close up.jpg

OP
OP
J

jessand

Veteran
If I could find a suitable spacer I would give it a try. It would have to be sturdy. I cant even get washers onto the bolt - it may not look it but threr is little room. I'll have go at it tommorrow. I'm very aware of the dangers of poor fitting of a front mudguard, not quite paranoid by very aware!!

OP
OP
J

jessand

Veteran
Incidentally, in my original post I asked about these SKS commuter guards. I'd like to have opinions from anyone who has them. The attaction for me is that should I have to use P clips or effectively move the fixing hole, these might be more amenable as they swivel up and down at the mudguard end (until you tighten the bolt obviously) whereas standard SKS can be awkward or inflexible in fitting - at the best of time. Any thoughts?

sks_commuter_mudguard_spoiler_45mm_28_700c_black_rutland_cycling.jpg

OP
OP
J

jessand

Veteran
Venod, I'm not sure - I have a few axle nuts but they all have a flange and have serations that face the dropouts. I'm a bit wary of fitting an ordinary bolt but I'll do a search and see if I can find anything.

Top Bottom