SKS Rennkompressor - any experience please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Unfortunatlely my recently-purchased Condor Supremacy floor pump has shat the bed and I'm considering a refund rather than replacement (will update that thread once its sorted, if anyone's bothered).

Quality / longevity / servicability are of importance and the Rennkompressor seems to stand out in this regard.

I'm not bothered by the weight, like the foldyness of the feet, traditional materials and reputation; but am not overly sold on the aesthetic, asymmetry of the feet or gauge position. They seem to get mostly positive, if somewhat mixed reviews.

10062.jpg

Looking for experiences from anyone whose owned / used these in the past please :smile:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
No experience of that particular pump but I can certainly recommend a Specialized Air Tool Sport, great quality all metal construction. Mine has been going strong for 13 years, I have a fleet of 19 bikes so it is well used!
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specia...MIztOmioOJgQMVBItQBh3aRAhoEAQYASABEgII4PD_BwE

I have one and it is the best track pump I've ever owned (previously, I had a Topeak and a couple of cheapies).

Better made and thought out than all of them. The Topeak was "good enough", but I like that you can get spares for this.

There was a bike shop on eBay selling them for £35 - worth a look!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I have one and it is the best track pump I've ever owned (previously, I had a Topeak and a couple of cheapies).

Better made and thought out than all of them. The Topeak was "good enough", but I like that you can get spares for this.

There was a bike shop on eBay selling them for £35 - worth a look!

Thanks! Sadly the cheapest on ebay is about £70, but Halfords seem to be doing them for good money and I can get hopefully one with the work Christmas bonus I'm desperate to spend before it disappears.

How do you find the offset feet and narrow profile? I've read some find it unstable during pumping (able to rock backward and forward) while the offset feet twist my melon slightly... but it seems to be the only game in town if you want something well-built and serviceable..

I can honestly say I've never thought about any of that stuff. A pump is quite a boring thing really. I pump up my tyres, and go - for that it's excellent.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Thanks! Sadly the cheapest on ebay is about £70, but Halfords seem to be doing them for good money and I can get hopefully one with the work Christmas bonus I'm desperate to spend before it disappears.

How do you find the offset feet and narrow profile? I've read some find it unstable during pumping (able to rock backward and forward) while the offset feet twist my melon slightly... but it seems to be the only game in town if you want something well-built and serviceable..

Look to be £43.99 from Amazon;

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKS-10062-Metall-Orange/dp/B0019HKEV8/ref=asc_df_B0019HKEV8/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310135571037&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16751807980344018121&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046303&hvtargid=pla-492333231242&th=1&psc=1

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

No experience of that particular pump but I can certainly recommend a Specialized Air Tool Sport, great quality all metal construction. Mine has been going strong for 13 years, I have a fleet of 19 bikes so it is well used!
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specia...MIztOmioOJgQMVBItQBh3aRAhoEAQYASABEgII4PD_BwE
Thanks - generally don't do Specialized products though and really want something that's overtly serviceable..

I can honestly say I've never thought about any of that stuff. A pump is quite a boring thing really. I pump up my tyres, and go - for that it's excellent.
Cheers - tbh there's nothing else in the market that stands out so I'll probably take a punt on one of these. Do you know which head you have on yours? I'm looking at the multivalve..

Do you know which head you have on yours? I'm looking at the multivalve..

The EVA. It fits everything, although you have to push it on as far as you can or it doesn't seal. I had to put valve extenders on my ebike rims as they were very deep section to get it to work with them.

vickster

Legendary Member

£63 from Balfes otherwise
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/tools-maintenance/pumps/sks-rennkompressor-floor-pump-in-orange__35295

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks - seem to be constantly lagging your posts!

Going to aim for Halfords if possible as I want to spend the gift cards I have and try to avoid Amazon if possible..

The EVA. It fits everything, although you have to push it on as far as you can or it doesn't seal. I had to put valve extenders on my ebike rims as they were very deep section to get it to work with them.
Cheers - appreciate your thoughts! Seems like it might be the better of the two common offerings :smile:

PapaZita

Guru
I’ve got a Renkompressor with the EVA head. It’s very good, feels like it will last for ever. The gauge is quite small and low down, and covers an enormous pressure range. It’s a pump most suitable for high pressure, low volume tyres.

As I’ve followed the trend towards bigger tyres at lower pressure, I’ve found the Renkompressor to be less than perfectly suitable. I bought the SKS Twentyniner pump, which is still very good although more plasticky, but does higher volume per stroke, up to 4 bar easily, and a bit more if you put some weight on it. The gauge is nice and big and clear.

The 29er came with the multi value head, which I didn’t like so much. I think it selects between its outputs based on back-pressure from the tyre. That’s fine unless trying to pump a tire from dead flat, when all the air came out the wrong port. I’m not sure, maybe there was something wrong with mine. I bought an EVA head for it.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I’ve got a Renkompressor with the EVA head. It’s very good, feels like it will last for ever. The gauge is quite small and low down, and covers an enormous pressure range. It’s a pump most suitable for high pressure, low volume tyres.

As I’ve followed the trend towards bigger tyres at lower pressure, I’ve found the Renkompressor to be less than perfectly suitable. I bought the SKS Twentyniner pump, which is still very good although more plasticky, but does higher volume per stroke, up to 4 bar easily, and a bit more if you put some weight on it. The gauge is nice and big and clear.

The 29er came with the multi value head, which I didn’t like so much. I think it selects between its outputs based on back-pressure from the tyre. That’s fine unless trying to pump a tire from dead flat, when all the air came out the wrong port. I’m not sure, maybe there was something wrong with mine. I bought an EVA ahead for it.

Echo these thoughts, especially the gauge, which is next to useless IME, giving only an approximation of the pressure. I bought mine on reputation but I'd not give it my wholehearted endorsement.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

The 29er came with the multi value head, which I didn’t like so much. I think it selects between its outputs based on back-pressure from the tyre. That’s fine unless trying to pump a tire from dead flat, when all the air came out the wrong port. I’m not sure, maybe there was something wrong with mine. I bought an EVA ahead for it.
Thanks for the comprehensive feedback!

How does the EVA head work? Does it have a typical reversible seal that needs to be changed around to suite Presta and Shrader valves? If so that could be a bit of a pain as I run both.. the MV head looked more appealing in this regard (and is the only one offered by Halfords, who I want to buy from although the process of trying to do so with a voucher appears about as productive and pleasant as rubbing pepper into my eyes).

Funny you should mention that about the heads as on the Chain Reaction site the pump with the MV head gets better reviews.. perhaps it's faulty as you say..?

Tbh the pressure gauge isn't a huge deal for me as I don't run anything really low (I think the lowest is probably about 65-70psi).

Echo these thoughts, especially the gauge, which is next to useless IME, giving only an approximation of the pressure. I bought mine on reputation but I'd not give it my wholehearted endorsement.

Thanks - anything else you don't like about it? While I like a bit of precision realistically the tyres are probably going to see a wider range of operating pressures through natural leakage than variation in the gauge during pressurisation..

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Thanks for the comprehensive feedback!

How does the EVA head work? Does it have a typical reversible seal that needs to be changed around to suite Presta and Shrader valves? If so that could be a bit of a pain as I run both.. the MV head looked more appealing in this regard (and is the only one offered by Halfords, who I want to buy from although the process of trying to do so with a voucher appears about as productive and pleasant as rubbing pepper into my eyes).

Funny you should mention that about the heads as on the Chain Reaction site the pump with the MV head gets better reviews.. perhaps it's faulty as you say..?

Tbh the pressure gauge isn't a huge deal for me as I don't run anything really low (I think the lowest is probably about 65-70psi).

Thanks - anything else you don't like about it? While I like a bit of precision realistically the tyres are probably going to see a wider range of operating pressures through natural leakage than variation in the gauge during pressurisation..

I preferred my old Jim Blackburn one tbh (broke after maybe 15 years). My chuck broke on the SKS so I replaced it. Pumping seems very spongy in comparison to the JB, as if it's less effective at converting my energy into air in the tyre. I had no problems using the JB for car tyres, but I certainly wouldn't do that with the SKS.

Top Bottom