Sky Arts. Now free to air!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is no 'Analogue' channel broadcast anymore, they switched those off years ago.
That's odd, I can still get Going for a Song with Arthur Negus when the weathers right ^_^

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I thought it was all digital now. The higher quality HD is the higher numbered channels. Ie. BBC1 is channel 1 and HD 101
Yep it is all digital nowadays, we rarely bother with the HD versions but then we only have quite a small TV by modern standards, it is only a 50 inch screen. What is more important IMHO is the way the box is connected to the TV (We're on the full BT package) the old telly used RGB and L+R for the picture and sound so 5 wires with 'phono' plugs but the new un (well 3 years old now) uses an HDMI lead to the DSP in the TV. The worst connection is Scart leads though but it depends on the set'
High Definition is only really needed over 70" and then it only works if the program was filmed in HD

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's odd, I can still get Going for a Song with Arthur Negus when the weathers right ^_^
That must be a Welsh transmitter. Incidentally my Cabinet Making Lecturer at College was a mate of Arthur's but then Leonard Ball was quite famous himself, back in the 50's when the BBC had short films to fill in gaps between live broadcasts there was one called 'The Bowlturner' and that was Len as an apprentice. :becool:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
If you like sky but would rather nkt pay so much for it, then its channel 348 on BT TV.
But then you have to pay for BT TV.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How can you tell which you are getting?
I do know that that excellent channel sony movies classic isn't available in bits of the north west but is in london. On the other hand my mum could get some oirish music channel which the london smog shielded me from.
Use the Freeview coverage checker... HERE.

Calder Valley, Freeview Lite = 45 channels. Centre of Manchester, Full Metal Freeview = 148 channels.

Yep it is all digital nowadays, we rarely bother with the HD versions but then we only have quite a small TV by modern standards, it is only a 50 inch screen.
High Definition is only really needed over 70" and then it only works if the program was filmed in HD
My TV is only 42" and HD looks vastly superior to SD at a distance of 8+ ft. You sound like my sisters, who bought HD TVs but then watch them in SD - it drives me potty! :wacko:

Obviously, HD is only HD if broadcast in HD and shot at that kind of resolution. Old episodes of The Sweeney are going to look pretty bad on any set! All programmes made in the last 10-15 years have been shot in HD widescreen. Some channels don't broadcast in HD but all of my favourites do.

A massive set might be a good idea for UHD but a bit of a waste of time for HD unless you have a huge room and will be sitting well distant from the TV.

Top Bottom