Sky looking for human interest cycling stories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peony

Hi there
I am finding human interest cycling stories for Sky who will be releasing them to the media to help promote cycling. Have you found love on a bike? Lost weight on a bike? Cycle as a family group? Or set up a business or charity around biking? Please get in touch by May 15th if you can help. Initially I just need a quick phone chat and a jpeg of you.
Ophelia

Peony said:
Hi there
I am finding human interest cycling stories for Sky who will be releasing them to the media to help promote cycling. Have you found love on a bike? Lost weight on a bike? Cycle as a family group? Or set up a business or charity around biking? Please get in touch by May 15th if you can help. Initially I just need a quick phone chat and a jpeg of you.
Ophelia

Hi

This may not be much use for you for the current story but if Sky is still interested in cycling stories nearer the summer you might want to have a look at this:

http://www.danubebybike.eu/

There are a few Brits involved including I believe a relay from the embassies in the countries concerned.

Good luck with the stories, there are certainly some impressive stories of weight loss around the forum, perhaps you should post on fitness or beginners?

climo

Über Member
No mention of an decent journalistic approach such as why people cycle, just lightweight "human interest" media nonsense. Love, losing weight, etc.

Sky aren't interested in cycling or cyclists at all. They will just want stories to make money to line their grubby pockets with.
Don't be another revenue stream for them.

Don't fall for it, they'll make you look like an idiot.

montage

God Almighty
climo said:
No mention of an decent journalistic approach such as why people cycle, just lightweight "human interest" media nonsense. Love, losing weight, etc.

Sky aren't interested in cycling or cyclists at all. They will just want stories to make money to line their grubby pockets with.
Don't be another revenue stream for them.

Don't fall for it, they'll make you look like an idiot.

Welcome to the forum ;)

Crankarm

Guru
Hi, Welcome Ophelia,

Are you a cyclist?

Didn't realise there was anything other than a human interest in cycling?

How about the about the shockingly lenient sentences awarded to drivers who have knocked down cyclists? Or you could look into why reports of when a cyclist is hit by a vehicle the inference is always that because they weren't wearing a helmet then it was their own fault?

How about doing a piece on Mark Beaumont who is currently cycling around the world trying to beat the record for fastest time if your organisation hasn't aready been following his travels? If not, why not?

http://www.globecycle.org/

I would have thought the global dimension would be of interest to SKY and the fact he is trying to raise so much money for charity. You'd have to give him more than 6 seconds coverage though which is typically the length of footage the popular main stream media give when showing cycling in a positive light if indeed they show any cycling at all.

Or how about Mark Cavendish currently competing in the Giro d'Italia? He's about the most successful British road cyclist ever but gets precious little media coverage outside of cycling itself in the UK.

climo

Über Member
Dayvo said:
:tongue:

Yeah, but he's not wrong! :tongue:

And hello, climo!

Thanks.

Nothing like a rant for a first post is there. :biggrin:
I just hope no one gets sucked in by this "human interest" crap spouted by their sales rep.
It used to called the "street of shame". Whilst the media has changed some things never change.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Crankarm said:
Hi, Welcome Ophelia,

How about doing a piece on Mark Beaumont who is currently cycling around the world trying to beat the record for fastest time if your organisation hasn't aready been following his travels? If not, why not?

James Bowthorpe actually - it's Mark's time he's trying to better!

andym

Über Member
Erm, far from me to stand in the way of people having a good old rant, but why not have a look here before the knee-jerk 'aren't Sky horrid?' posts:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/bcf/News2008/20080724_Sky_Deal.asp

For those of you, who are to idle to follow links here are the headlines:

NEWPORT (WALES) Thursday, July 24: British Cycling today secured a major new investment in the sport with the announcement of Sky as its Principal Partner for the next five years. The multi-million pound partnership will provide increased support for cycling in the run-up to the 2012 Olympic Games in London and beyond.

Every level of the sport is set to benefit from the investment, from the Elite Team of World, Olympic and Paralympic cyclists to British Cycling’s talent development programmes and grass-roots initiatives in schools and local communities. The partnership will cover all forms of the competitive sport from BMX to track cycling and road racing, with the aim of bringing on the elite teams and accelerating the development of emerging talent.

The partnership also aims to build on Britain’s love of cycling with participation programmes in schools, youth clubs and the wider community to encourage everyone to get cycling. In addition to its financial investment, Sky will use its marketing expertise and relationships with one in three families across the UK to help British Cycling to encourage participation in cycling for sport and leisure among people of all ages and abilities.

[Obligatory quotes from the great and the good].

About Sky and its support for participatory sport:
The partnership with British Cycling is the latest in a series of Sky initiatives encouraging people to get more involved in sport. Earlier this week Sky Sports was confirmed as the sponsor of the London Freewheel event, taking place in September 2008.

In addition, Sky Sports Living For Sport – developed with the Youth Sports Trust - uses sport to re-engage young people in school life and has reached more than 17,000 pupils to date in over 600 schools across the UK. The Sky Sports ECB Coaching the Coaches scheme has helped the England and Wales Cricket Board to train over 5,500 coaches.

Top Bottom