Skype phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcogs

Guru
Advice please.

Mrs redcogs and myself are considering a pair of Skypephones so that our current mobiles can become the childrens emergency phones.

i've sort of read the Skype blurb, and it seems to indicate that free text messaging is available between their phones, and maybe that they can be used as any other mobile (maybe even cheaper?).

Has anyone any experience to offer before i take the plunge please?

domtyler

Über Member
If you're talking about the 3 Skype phones then I have a couple of these on payg. They are really very good handsets for the money. The only gotcha is that you need to top up every thirty days, min. ten quid, for the Skype to stay active.

OP
OP
redcogs

redcogs

Guru
domtyler said:
If you're talking about the 3 Skype phones then I have a couple of these on payg. They are really very good handsets for the money. The only gotcha is that you need to top up every thirty days, min. ten quid, for the Skype to stay active.

i don't understand this dom. You mean the phone deactivates if you fail to pay them £10?

Currently i payasyougo on Vodaphone and if i top up for £10 i can use it months later if i choose.

Surely Skype are on a loser if they are going to steal peoples subscriptions when they havn't used them within a month?

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
It means that you lose the facility for free Skype - Skype calls on the mobile phone. Also note that the Skype mobiles can't be used for Skype Out or Skype In or Skype Texting. That is only available from a computer.

derall

Guru
I've got a 3 mobile payg. I can make skype calls, but only for thirty days after each top-up. The payg payment for the regular mobile service doesn't time-expire; as I look at it, the Skype service is a bonus on top of the regular mobile service.

Don't think I would ever invest in a plain Skype phone, seems pointless; good having the Skype on top of the regular service though.

OP
OP
redcogs

redcogs

Guru
Thanks derall. It is beginning to sink in to my thickish skull that the Skype 3 is actually an ordinary mobilephone, not unlike my voda model, but one that allows the Skype free text facility as a piggy back option provided one commits £10 per 30 days?

Is skype 3 phone payg comparable in price to other phones?

derall

Guru
I don't make many calls on the mobile, so the 3 payg works out better than my old SP (T-Mobile). T-mob had a sliding scale each month, 30p/min for first half hour, the 20p/min next half hour, then 10p/min. with 3 it's a 13p/min flat rate. For me that's much cheaper.

The 3 Skype phone is a basic phone, but with a "Skype button" so that you can access the service directly.

Top Bottom