Sleep apnea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I travel for work from time to time with a mate who has it and its a total pain taking the mask everywhere. Security at airports are always interested in it and even for just an overnight he needs a suitcase when all I need is hand luggage. Other than that, he's very grateful to have the mask as it has changed his life.

I was never formally diagnosed but getting rid of the thing that was causing me stress reduced the occurrences.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Went to the Docs today for a full M.O.T. prior to being referred. Aside from a bus driver trying to murder me it was a lovely ride out.

Anyway, he did adtually measure my neck, 18". I do still have a chin, honest!

He weighed me, but wasn't overly concerned because of my musculature, but still recommended dropping to 17 stones. Ok, a minor ballache as I've been doing a lot of heavy weight, low rep work, but he's the boss.

BP was very good, despite having ridden there and survived near death, and pulse was already back down to 47. All to the good.

Score 44 on the multiple choice written test, which is on the bad side of concerning.

I've got to stop drinking until this is resolved. Now what is a major f****r!

I've got to book an appt with the practice vampire to give a blood sample, he wants to check for ant tell tale signs of heart problems. He can't just refer me, but has to actually apply for funding, but reassures me it's not a problem, just a PITA paperwork exercise. So I'm in a holding pattern for the time being.

gbb

Legendary Member
Excess weight is also a major cause apparently
My wife suffered sleep apnoea some years ago when she was carrying excess weight. She embarked on a fitness and healthy eating regime (not specifically for the sleep problem...more her own health) and has never suffered sleep apnoea again.​
Just remembered, early on in the problem the docs suggested removing the epiglotis, a flap in the throat to prevent food going into the windpipe. She had hers removed but it didnt cure the SA...what it did do was cause her to occasionally nearly choke when swallowing food if it went into the windpipe.​

Slick

Guru
My wife suffered sleep apnoea some years ago when she was carrying excess weight. She embarked on a fitness and healthy eating regime (not specifically for the sleep problem...more her own health) and has never suffered sleep apnoea again.​
Just remembered, early on in the problem the docs suggested removing the epiglotis, a flap in the throat to prevent food going into the windpipe. She had hers removed but it didnt cure the SA...what it did do was cause her to occasionally nearly choke when swallowing food if it went into the windpipe.​
Sounds a bit severe for something that can be controlled by diet.

gbb

Legendary Member
Sounds a bit severe for something that can be controlled by diet.
I seem to remember the epiglotis was enlarged, potentially / probably obstructing her breathing when sleeping,
As always, problems can be complex, not necessarily having a single cause I guess.

Top Bottom