Amount of sleep ?

hours of sleep

Votes: 2 4.7%

Votes: 4 9.3%

Votes: 12 27.9%

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • 8+

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • sleep ? i live in a perpetual state of coffee buzz !

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As i work shifts i never get what people think of as a full night of sleep and somedays dont have the energy to do anything else but work and veg .
Monday got to bed after 2.30 am and woken by mrs ck getting the kids up at 7 am onwards , tried to doze on the sofa but cant really get a full night in.
Early shifts i try to get my head down for 7 hours but it feels to early at 8.30 pm as everyone else is still up and even though they try it still keeps me awake .

Drago

Legendary Member
About 7.5 weekdays as I get up at 0615hrs with Mrs D, 8 or 9 weekends.

Read somewhere recently that about 8.5 is optimum so I'm in permanent deficit but feel just fine. Yawn.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
When all is well with life, I get 8 hours and I need it. But the last few months I've had lots of things on so have been getting 7-7.5. And now I always seem to wake up at between 4.30 - 5.30 and can't get back to sleep. Now I work at home most of the time, I try to have a 30-45min nap at lunchtime. Even 5 or 10 mins is really helpful and I feel refreshed until 10pm when I'm usually dozing off on the sofa.

A Keto diet helps a lot though, blood sugar remains low and stable so no peaks and troughs.

presta

Guru
I take my sleep incredibly seriously because I have seen the evidence. Once you know that after just one night of only four or five hours’ sleep, your natural killer cells – the ones that attack the cancer cells that appear in your body every day – drop by 70%, or that a lack of sleep is linked to cancer of the bowel, prostate and breast, or even just that the World Health Organisation has classed any form of night-time shift work as a probable carcinogen, how could you do anything else?

■ An adult sleeping only 6.75 hours a night would be predicted to live only to their early 60s without medical intervention.
■ If you drive a car when you have had less than five hours’ sleep, you are 4.3 times more likely to be involved in a crash. If you drive having had four hours, you are 11.5 times more likely to be involved in an accident.
■ The time taken to reach physical exhaustion by athletes who obtain anything less than eight hours of sleep, and especially less than six hours, drops by 10-30%.

Alex321

Veteran
I've never needed very much sleep. About 5 hours a night is enough, most of the time.

I rarely go to bed before 1AM, more often 1:30, and weekdays my alarm goes off 7:15 if I'm WFH, 6:15 if I'm in the office (I try to be in bed as close after 1:00 as possible for those days).

At weekends, with no alarm, I usually manage to sleep until 8:00-8:30 - but then I may well have not gone to bed until close to 2:00AM, and I will often have woken before that, looked at the clock and just decided to stay in bed dozing for a bit longer.

Alex321

Veteran
I take my sleep incredibly seriously because I have seen the evidence. Once you know that after just one night of only four or five hours’ sleep, your natural killer cells – the ones that attack the cancer cells that appear in your body every day – drop by 70%, or that a lack of sleep is linked to cancer of the bowel, prostate and breast, or even just that the World Health Organisation has classed any form of night-time shift work as a probable carcinogen, how could you do anything else?

■ An adult sleeping only 6.75 hours a night would be predicted to live only to their early 60s without medical intervention.
■ If you drive a car when you have had less than five hours’ sleep, you are 4.3 times more likely to be involved in a crash. If you drive having had four hours, you are 11.5 times more likely to be involved in an accident.
■ The time taken to reach physical exhaustion by athletes who obtain anything less than eight hours of sleep, and especially less than six hours, drops by 10-30%.

All of these things vary considerably by individual.

I am simply not capable of sleeping more than 6-7 hours a night, and never have been.

But I do sleep very deeply, it can be very difficult to wake me when I'm fully asleep.

D

Deleted member 1258

Between 5 and 6 hours a night for me, I'm in bed around 11pm and awake most mornings between 4 and 5, occasionally I'll sleep a bit later but that usually means I was unusually tired, the light mornings don't help, even with dark heavy curtains up the rising sun will wake me up even if my bladder hasn't, I wouldn't mind so much but I'm retired and don't need to get up that early.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I'm very much a morning person but I think I could probably manage to work a regular night shift if I had to. But I'm sure I'd never get the hang of changing shift patterns the way you have to @cyberknight Much respect to you for that.

gbb

Legendary Member
weekdays, anywhere between 5 and 7 hours a night, but its almost always punctuated by waking moments, sometimes longer lasting than id like.
Weekends, on a good day (night ) ..10 to 12 hours, particually on Friday night, Saturday morning.

Shifts never overly bothered me, be they rolling earlier and later...or nightshift, but then we used to do straight 14 shifts of 12 hours so you do get in a routine.

nagden

Über Member
7 hours a night for me with a 30 min siesta most lunch times. I spent 34 years on shifts never slept well. It was one of the reasons I packed the job in and moved to France. I felt the impact on my health was to great.

Jameshow

Veteran
6 hours go to bed at 11pften not asleep till 12 and often wake in middle of night have a crap life attack/crap I should have done a,b,c !!!

Top Bottom