Sleeping in graveyards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I am thinking of doing Spain north to south again, but this time on the cheap. I've 2 family holidays to fork out for this summer and would like some quality Mark time that costs very. little. I've found Spanish campsites in the interior scarce and mainly catering for the RV folk and a pitch costs more than a room would.

On my last trip I noticed that graveyards were set a little way out from towns, but within very easy walking distance of said towns (b.a.r.s), they had large, flat, stable surfaces on which to sleep (graves) and were protected from winds by high walls, to me, these looked like ideal places to camp, I'd only need a sleeping bag and a mozzie net and I'd be highly unlikely to be troubled and yet I'd still be close to beer?

cementerio-de-la-almudena01.jpg

And they've usually got a water tap.

I've bivvied in a couple of graveyards in my UK travels. Normally no problem at all. Just try to be inconspicuous, stay off the main paths and leave before anyone is up. Some churches even have nice porches in case there is any rain.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I don't think I'd sleep on top of the grave though, seems a bit disrespectful.

Well I'm not going to sleep underneath! Nobody is there at night, nobody to be disrespectful to, I like visiting them and the thought of utilising them has crossed my mind more than once, they appear perfect camping spots for summer Spain.

I've camped on grassy frontages to graveyards and tbh would have felt more secure within the graveyard, anyway..........no negative replies so I will give it some more thought, tho' I've pretty much made my mind up..

Top Bottom