Sleeping in graveyards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I've slept in graveyards while out camping. Close to the wall, so I couldn't be seen. I certainly didn't sleep on a grave. Apart from the fact that it's disrespectful, it's a bit off, even if it has a nice flat top.

Tin Pot

Guru
Be safe.

I know a few people who've had the living kicked out of them by locals/police when travelling in Spain - mistaken for gypsies, mostly.

AndyWilliams

Über Member
Sounds interesting but I would be quite scared, not of the Graveyard itself, but of god knows who, who sleeps there every night.
Don't think for one second you'd be the only one, some homeless folk will hurt to get stuff from others.
Tramps in our local one, not welcoming ones either, drunks and druggies. We found a dogs head too!!

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Sounds interesting but I would be quite scared, not of the Graveyard itself, but of god knows who, who sleeps there every night.
Don't think for one second you'd be the only one, some homeless folk will hurt to get stuff from others.
Tramps in our local one, not welcoming ones either, drunks and druggies. We found a dogs head too!!

That's the silly human fear of the dark and "what if's". If I wanted "stuff" from "others", I'd hardly go looking in a graveyard at night for it, I'd be too scared of folk looking for stuff from others..............

Cubist

Still wavin'
Then the ducks'll eat the worms.
Then shall we have etten thee

classic33

Leg End Member
That's the silly human fear of the dark and "what if's". If I wanted "stuff" from "others", I'd hardly go looking in a graveyard at night for it, I'd be too scared of folk looking for stuff from others..............
Often taken as meaning your seeking an early grave though

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
no negative replies so I will give it some more thought, tho' I've pretty much made my mind up..
Sorry, but this has to be said: bloody British abroad :tongue:
I have been brought up in a small seaside town in Italy, no wonder we all considered tourists a bit dimwitted, even though they were our living.
Not enough to make yourselves ill by sunbathing at midday, causing havoc by roaming the streets drunk, breaking the heart of handsome beach boys :laugh: now you want to camp in a cemetery??
Don't do it: there are actually laws against it, it's also disrespectful to say the least.
There is a deep felt custom of tending graves in Mediterranean countries, you will anger the locals if you get found out.
@Brandane what's with the avatar? :dry:

Tojo

Über Member
My Dad always said to me to be careful when I was younger as I was always poaching the local landowners pheasants and rabbits all the time, his philosophy was, you don't get wrong for doing anything, its when you get caught doing it the problems start, I was always careful and didn't have a problem. what is ironic though in later life I was a gamekeeper on a large estate, needless to say I caught a few poachers....:biggrin:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
If you're stealth camping, a graveyard is not the stealthiest place to do so, at least in the US. It seems like someone, either priest, verger, or altar guild or churchwardens are always at the church at some point or another. Of course, if you showed up with a bicycle and camping gear and asked, they'd probably point you to a nice bit of ground where it wouldn't flood if it rained, and ask if they could roll out an electrical cord for you or something. Sometimes showing you are actually doing what you say you are doing, and mean no harm by it, will open up doors in any community.

sittingbull

Veteran
Maybe they'll have some vacancies?

200.gif

Top Bottom